I wish I had the ability to be a good writer, unfortunately just a thinker. Unless you are a commercial fisherman, fishing is not about catching as much as it is about everything else involved. I am going to keep this as short as possible and allow follow up threads to do the writing.

If fishing were about catching, we would just put a night crawler or minnow on and go. Nothing to really buy, nothing to talk about, nothing to collect, nothing to build or restore. Where is the fun?

We are a group and I don't mean just fly fisherman/ladies that need something besides "the catch". We need to build or repair rods, collect fly tying materials, collect flys, rods, various lines, look for the most unique places to obtain materials, have fish-ins, tournaments, create flys, be good or great at casting, own boats and just plain spend money.

If you really do a self analysis you will discover that catching is just the bonus "the pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow. The rainbow is just as beautiful from one end to the other.

What is it? Each thing we do, up to the point of the catch spikes the seretonin level. We all have it and we all apparently need it. What would catching be without the previously mentioned, and I just touched on a few of the pre-catch seretonin spikes.

What have you to say?

Steve (Rookie)