+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slot sizes, minimum sizes, limits and management

Default Slot sizes, minimum sizes, limits and management

I subscribe to two sporting journals, Northwoods sportsman and Maine sportsman. They talk about outdoors in general. This past month one of them had an article on limit numbers, minimum lengths, slot sizes, and catch and release and how the state of Maine uses these different tactics in different lakes and streams. It always seems like a hot topic. I was wondering what other people think about these measures and how effective they are.

It seems that people on the board only talk about catch and release vs killing. I don't heart much about slot sizes

I have fished in lakes with all different regs and can tell the difference between the regs just based on the numbers and sizes of fish that I catch. Does anyone have an opinion on what they think works best and why.

Personally I like the lakes where all fish over a certain size have to be released and the smaller fish can be kept. The method that I like the least is that all fish between 16 and 22 inches have to be released. It seems like there are no big fish at all in those lakes and the only fish that you catch are in that size range. It is always a pain in the *** because everytime you go fishing you have to pull out the rule book and look up all the special regs on every body of water because God forbid a worden finds you with a fish a micrometer off in any direction.

This weekend I went ice fishing for togue (salvelinus namaycush) and I wanted to keep one fish to eat because this was my first year actually catching them. It was a shame because the minimum length limit on this particular lake was 18". I had to throw a few of the smaller fish back that were 12-16" that were more than enough for a meal and kept the 20" fish that I caught, which I would have rather released and kept one of the smaller guys. A lake that I was on earlier that weekend had a smaller limit but I was skunked that day.

I figured that I would throw this out there to see what other people have to say.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Hey Folks,

The slot limits on the redfish here in
    the southeast are having a very positive
    affect on the fishery. It's hard to argue
    with success. As JC mentioned, a lot of
    research goes into setting up such a program
    and keeping fish in accordance with regs
    will not adversly affect the recovery of the
    species. Warm regards, Jim

Some of my favorite steams use slot limit regulations. I agree that when the slot limit is 12"-20" you rarely see a fish outside of the range. I however am not bothered by this.

One of my local steams has a 'Gold Medal Water' section where the slot limit is in place for about a 3 mile section. Above and below the gold medal water the regular state limits are in effect. When I fish the gold medal section I consistantly catch and release lots of nice fish in the 12"-20" range. When I venture into the unprotected areas I only catch a few small 8"-10" fish. I would much rather spend my day cathing and releasing bigger fish than keeping a few small ones.

For streams with lots of fishing pressure I feel the slot limits work and provide a good fishing experiance for most of the anglers.

I don't have anything wrong with slots I just wish that it was a max size limit instead of just that slot. Most anglers keep the bigger fish and release the smaller ones. Some days I go out there just to catch that one big guy and nothing else. I get skunked a lot but I seem to get bigger fish in unslotted water.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Micropterus,

First, allow me to preface my comments by stating I have been a fisheries biologist in the Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama region for 28 years. In that time, I have had the opportunity to work with the various State agencies in managing fish populations in several warm water impoundments and streams.
    One needs to keep in mind the reason behind the implementation of a slot limit. In all cases I am aware of, slot limits are used in an effort to reduce numbers of smaller fish (usually an overabundance) to increase the growth rate of the remaining fish in the population. With increased growth rates, the fish grow into the protected slot more quickly, and in theory at least, grow out of the top end of the slot more quickly than if no management were to occur. If fishing pressure is such that all of the fish that grow out of the top of the slot are quickly harvested, then additional regulations may be called for to remedy this situation. I know of few locations where slot limits, appropriately designated and supported by anglers taking smaller fish, have not been successful. The key to the success of slot limits and other fishing regulations, is the angler adherence to those regulations. Slot limits are one particular instance where harvest of smaller fish can and will enhance the remaining population, if the regulation is properly researched.

garyj147,
    That is what a conservation officer here in MN has told me also. In fact he has told me that C & R on certain streams is actually not doing the fish any favors and to "please not release any fish under 10" (or what ever the lower limit may be). That is with respect to the bag limit of course and this is not every stream with a slot just the ones we were talking about at that particular time. Not enough people are willing to take home the smaller fish when actually they fit in the pan better. He also told me that each stream is different and that is why there is so many variations to the slots (besides research).
    Thanks I really enjoy hearing from a seasoned profesional such as yourself.

[This message has been edited by Fly_Line (edited 10 March 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Fly_Line (edited 10 March 2005).]

Blog Entries

Slot limits have their place in management. Normally, size limits on fish are to protect spawning-age fish, or to increase take of certain size classes for some reason (such as to reduce populations, increase populations, make a "trophy" fishery, etc.). I was poised to say that we don't have em out here, but we do have a minimum size limit on bass on a lake I fish. It does not appear to have had any impact, but it has only been in place for a year or two.

One thing I have noticed is that in places where, say, the minimum size trout that can be kept is 20", you get a whole lotta 19" trout.

Slot limits are a MANAGEMENT tool, in most cases, whereas C&R is, in many cases, a POLITICAL tool.

Slot Limits only work, if they are introduced with the understanding, cooperation and approval of the anglers. You can pass a new rule, but without the anglers approval and understanding, the new rule to improve the fishing it will not work.

Slot Limits allow the opportunity for Trophy Fishing, that is in Minnesota, one fish per day (you should be so lucky)!

Slot Limits require, those fish which are the breeding stock for future generations, to be released.

Slot Limits allow those fish that are below the slot to be kept for eating, and allow the option of keeping a "Trophy Fish".

With the heavy demands on our fishing waters, and each body of water having its own unique ecosystem, the slot limits can be tailored to best protect that body of water. This also offers the angler with great fishing, and the opportunity to dream of the Big One!

~ Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 10 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread