It is really amazing how a really good caster Like James Castwell himself can improve your casting almost immediately. I was casting really well for me on small lakes and streams. Then for some unknown reason my cast just seemed to go all to hell. I arrived at the Central Washington Fish In and did a few lawn casts. I was swinging my rod like a shutter door and making horrible casts. I couldn't seem to get back on track. The more I practiced the worse I got. The next day as soon as he arrived Jim walked up to me and said " wrap the line around your left hand about 3 times" so I did then he said "Now put it in your pocket and cast." Bingo! There it was, my timing was good but I had been unconciously following the line with my left hand, sort of an anti haul taking all the steam out of my casts. With Jims advice It took me only 5 minutes or so before I was once again casting well. Ergo! sometimes someone who is qualified and standing back watching can easily spot what you are doing wrong, especially someone like Jim.

Double hauling is quite easy but I don't do it because it hurts my shoulder and my back. I don't really need it anyway.

DG I have stood back and watched you cast and have to admit that I was taken by how well you did.
Of course shortly after that I broke my arm which really did make any question of double hauling the rest of that trip moot.