+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Approaches to casting

You're all wrong!! If you're unable to effortlessly tie a series of little knots in your leader and tippet, then you have it all wrong. I'd be happy to give instruction if you feel the need.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    You're all wrong!! If you're unable to effortlessly tie a series of little knots in your leader and tippet, then you have it all wrong. I'd be happy to give instruction if you feel the need.
    No need for coaching...I'm a natural at that technique.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

I've gotten into A LOT of trouble, especially here, discussing 'casting styles, distance casting and necessities'.
    Nope!
    Not this time.
    I'm gonna keep my big mouth shut!

Allan

Blog Entries

PA Dave,

Those are Length Adjustment Knots

Larry ---sagefisher---

There are many roads to Rome.

I used to spend a lot of time on another site with a large European contingent and a lot of champion distance and competition casters. Now these people have very strong opinions and will argue all day about technique and equipment. Stiff rods or not, rotation and translation, what, when and how. There are some really good examples of high speed photography and the mathematical analysis of same. But the fundamental oversite of that whole operation is that there is so much variance in technique that it becomes nearly impossible to rationally discuss it. Especially when you introduce the frailty of the English language and it's interpretation. I was some sort of a missfit there because my experience revolves around smaller rivers and shorter casts (exception of salt).

So let those two argue all day and enjoy it. Learn from them both because both speak some degree of truth. But don't get caught up in trying to learn the "Holy Grail" of technique because it does not exist. And there in lies the beauty of it.

Godspeed,

Bob

Sagefisher. Took those length adjustment knots to a new level today by pruning some arborvitae along Black Earth crick today with my special nymph here in Wisconsin. While I am babbling like the supposedly shallow stream I was fishing just goota say I am still cold and wet as we speak. Forgot to put on my belt over my chest waders and found a new hole. And yes it was over my head and I looked like a water buffalo doing a mad panic swim to the bank. Kind of funny because the better half said to me as I left "be careful and don't drown because it's Mother's Day." Should have listened and just worked in the garden. Had only two thoughts as my waders filled as I went under. What a stupid way to go and my cell phone is getting wet. Alas I made it and my phone was in my plastic bag. I now have a fly fishing store worth of gear drying on an outside bench. In addition my wader belt is back in the jeep. Moral of the story is cast any way you want. No way is right,only your way, as long as you get the fly in the feeding zone. Be Careful when your'e wading. And from now on I will use only Kevlar leaders and tippets to pull me back out the crick when I am hung up in a tree. And YES I got skunked but will live to fish again. THANK YOU TROUT GOD!

Certainly to enjoy fishing you don't have to cast very well. Most people can swing a cane pole and a bobber with a baited hook or a fly attached to a line and catch a fish. So we make this fly fishing a sport and attach some do's and don'ts so we can challenge ourselves. A sporting we will go ! How you define the challenge for yourself is where you set your sights for your own enjoyment.

Sport is meant to be competitive. A challenge to yourself ; and you can measure up to the guy next to you, whatever. It drives questions like, "How can I cast better, How do I cast farther"? I think it is all part of human nature. You just want to keep up with the guy next to you or you feel your under the hoofs of the stampede. In the worst case you flat out don't get to eat anything or get outdone by your opponent.

Myself, fly casting is all about control. I want the fly , the line and every part of the presentation to do what I want it to do. That...I think is the secret to my enjoyment of the sport. To compare myself to both of the guys you gave in your scenario I will say that I can cast the fly line either way, zippy and quick, or throttle it down to a molasses pace. No harm no foul. I'll cast whichever way I think is necessary given the circumstances.

So my thoughts:

How far should you be capable of throwing a fly = how far you can hover a fly. Hovering a fly over a target takes the guess work out of the presentation.You need to put a fly in the feeding lane of the fish. I think this is an effective length for someone to be after. Your standard can differ.

The haul or double haul is sometimes the only way to correct a mistimed cast. That's what I use it most for. Not so much for distance casting. I think the object of the haul is to always have some fly line weight to pull against otherwise you don't have anything to throw. A fly caster should know how to haul.

To me the idea that a 4 weight in more delicate than an 8 weight is a puzzle to me. Most fly lines taper to a common point and if they are allowed to be cast above the target, above the water, the line should float down to the surface relatively the same. I use fly line weight to gauge the size fly I use and also to push through windy conditions. Not for delicacy. You can target your cast from a foot above to 30 foot above, it's part of the intuition of the sport. The whole thing about it is, I can fish a size 28 Grizzly Midge on an 8 weight, but fishing a heavily weighted streamer to a bank + 50 ft. away is a stretch on a 4 weight outfit.

Casting is effortless when it is done correctly. I think you just need to be able to pull against some weight and flick it over the rod tip and tell it where to go and how to get there and your in business. I don't want to make fly casting sound easy, but once you catch on you got it!

All to often a thread like this is spurned by some negative comments. Don't let it be. If you guys have some thoughts, have at it or the board will be controlled by a few wordsmiths and
    nobody will be able to give their ideas, right or wrong.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I think 15 minutes of daily practice forming good aerodynamic loops goes a long way towards improving one's casting, regardless of style.

Mr. Swan, very good point....the late JC was really big on practice, but practice 'something' not just flail away. Pick a spot for accuracy and cast to it. Put out a paper plate (or if you think you are really good a coffee cup) and put the fly on it. Hang a hula hoop from a branch and put the cast threw the hoop. If you are with friends lay out a accuracy course, left, right and distance and have fun with it.
    My shoulder does not allow me much casting currently, and I'm getting very critical watching the guys cast from drift boats on the Yellowstone - some are really pathetic - and it's almost spooky watching Trav practice, yes just like JC of course, they learned together!
    There is nothing wrong with working on distance because in my mind distance does take rod and line control. Without that you just cannot cast effectively. I happen to really like casting, it is fun - and it should be. If it isn't, you need to get some help.*S*

When my 23 year old son wanted to get started in this addiction I thought it best not to teach him my bad habits so I booked a half day on the river with one of our local gurus.
    Well worth the time and money.
    We walked down to the river after gearing up and the fellow turned to my son and told him a very important truth. "Casting is dead easy, it's presentation and catching the fish that can prove difficult"
    He had him casting really well within 30 minutes, whereas it took a little longer to straighten me out.
    About a month later at club outing one of our members walked up to my son and complimented him on his casting ability, now we just have to work on the catching part.

+ Reply to Thread