+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TYING WITH STYLE - Whip Finish - May 09, 2011

Blog Entries

Default TYING WITH STYLE - Whip Finish - May 09, 2011

TYING WITH STYLE

I recently spent some time with a fishing partner discussing the waters planned for this year, and some of the events attended throughout the past winter. It was a good talk, the kind that comes naturally over a beverage-of-choice and good company.

Default Fly tying types

Ralph Long's newest "Whip Finish" article is a interesting dialog of questioning, what fly patterns we use for fly fishing, and how we dress the hook to catch the fish....

The "Tying with Style" article also brought back to me, an article similar to Ralph Long's "Whip Finish" article, that was written by Al Campbell many many years ago on FAOL, titled "Fly Fishing Types"....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/lighterside/part8.php

Are we slaves to following the directions on a fly pattern because, that is what it's directions tell us what to do? Do we by-pass a interesting fly pattern because we do not have the materials listed for the fly pattern?

Sometimes an old pattern, list materials that are no longer available. "Case in Point"
    Gold Ribbed Hairs Ear was originally a dry fly patterns, that was reportedly an excellent attractor dry fly for using for any and all mayfly hatches. It has disappeared from being used, only be reemerge as a "Nymph Pattern".

It is good to sometimes reflex on our actions, and reasons for doing things that we do, just because that is what we have been taught or instructed to do. Ralph Long's article is a reminder to keep our options open to change, and avoid becoming stuck in a rut doing the same things repeatedly every fishing season.

I recently updated the "Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear", and substitute materials (attempting to remain true to the originally material list as much as possible), and change some of the patterns parts so the "Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear" might again be a fly pattern of choice for dry fly fishing. I hope to have the article ready shortly for publication on FAOL, either as a "Fly Of The Week" or more appropriately in the resurrection of "Just Old Flies and stuff!" From what I have read regarding the GRHE-dry, it was just as effective in it's time (1890's) as the Adams dry fly is today. Fly fishing and fly tying are both activities that are constantly changing, the same as everything else in life! Somethings have been lost in time, that should not have been forgotten.

~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 05-09-2011 at 06:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread