+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you use guide services ?

Hybrid View

Default Do you use guide services ?

I posted this same question a few years ago with many and varied responses. So now, with a bit of "new blood" in membership, I'll ask it again. Do you, have you, will you.................guides? In my case, I have used guides (twice) and have since determined it's not for me. Since I work half a day every day , cost is NOT the issue with me ( it may be for you)( and it's NOT cheap).
    I just prefer to beat the water to a froth using MY OWN skill and cunning , such as they are

Mark

The last time I (we) used a guide was in the Bahamas. A guide has a boat and knows where to go. So for me a strange place (really strange) would be the time and place. I was a guide, Trav was a guide and nephew Tom still is. Sort of gives us a large advantage fishing most anywhere in this part of the country.

I never have used one. And I probably never will. My main reason for never using one is because...to me at least, finding & Figuring out the fish are a big part of what makes fishing so exciting/interesting to me. Probably the only time I would ever consider it would be in a situation like Ladyfisher just said above, in a "strange" situation. Such as I'm freshwater angler, so put me in the saltwater and I would be totally lost so that would maybe be a situation where I would consider a guide. But freshwater rivers/streams and such, I never will use one.

Steve

Nope, and I never will. I dont fish private water either.

Blog Entries

Yes, I use guide services when I am fishing the rivers of eastern WA and Montana. I believe in quality fishing over quantity and with a good guide, I get quality fly fishing on these big rivers.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Yup, sure have. Every fall when VEE and I take our Wedding Anniversary fishing trip for sea run cutthroat/steelhead. The guide provides the boat (sometimes a drift boat, sometimes a sled), shore lunch, flies, tippet and casting help when needed or appropriate. Besides that he's a great guy to share the river with. If anyone is headed this way to fish sea run cutthroat or steelhead and need a guide, I'll be glad to refer you.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Well, when your friends with both former and current guides and have been told you should be one too (but I like my job a lot better) you kind of have an advantage, but Bahamas ya! Freshwater, the fun now is new waters and figuring out the "spots". However, some of the people they "guide"..........I could never do it! Making new friends who happen to guide in new locations, well that's just a whole lot of fun!
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

I certainly do. Usually not, due to cost but when I'm going someplace different I will. If I go a thousand miles to fish for Salmon, or some other species I probably will consider a guide for the first day to get some local know-how. Then I'll be on my own. I more often will fish with some internet friend that gives me similar knowledge.

There is nothing to replace the knowledge of someone who fishes a place daily.

jed

I never have. Except for the Jack Hise and WarrenP guide service on the Elk and Duck River. I highly reccommend them.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread