I don't know if this is the time or place to post this, but since the question was originally posted as a "reach cast question", I thought I'd mention it

I knew what you meant, but there is definitely confusion over what a cast is and what an in-the-air mend is. Greg's post about an underpowered curve cast also reminded me about what an actual cast is, what a mend is, and what some think an underpowered curve cast is.

This is not a dig at Greg because I also use the terminology of an underpowered curve cast and I do it exactly as Greg describes, by slipping some line. Nor is it a dig at you because plenty of folks use the terminology of a reach cast, and many fly fishing books call it a reach cast.

The first technical point is that casts and mends are related but separate concepts and they have separate definitions.

The second technical point is that some will say this underpowered "curve cast" is not a curve cast at all. They will say that a true right curve cast can cast AROUND an object like a tree or other vertical obstruction. This right underpowered curve can not actual go around the object. It is a cast that dies before it straightens. Nevertheless, it is a good way for a right hander to get the leader to land in a right curve.

I use the following definition to separate a cast from a mend. The cast is defined by the motion of the rod tip up to the stop. A mend repositions the line with the motion of the rod tip after the stop either while the line is in the air or on the water. This seems to agree with:

"Difference between a "Mend" and a "Cast" - a Cast is something you make during the Casting Stroke and affects the fly-leg of the loop, while a Mend is something you make after the loop has formed and affects the rod-leg of the loop. And that's all we'll say about that."

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/fff_ci_test.shtml

Letting some line out after the rod stop doesn't strictly fit into either of these definitions but it is closer to a mend than a cast because it occurs after the stop and adds line to the rod leg of the cast. But I still call it an underpowered cast, because that is what everyone calls it. As long as everyone understand how to do it and why the line does what it does, you can call it whatever you want.