+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you well read? How about fishing literature?

Hybrid View

Default Are you well read? How about fishing literature?

This isn't Jeopardy but - a gold star to the first person who answers correctly *S* Where is this quote from?

"Painted on one side of our Sunday School wall were the words, God Is Love. We always assumed that these three words were spoken directly to the four of us in our family and had no reference outside, which my brother and I soon discovered was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets
    from Missoula, Montana."

A river runs through it.....from the book, that part was not in the movie.

LF, I love it when you do this! That's a quote from Norman Maclean's famous book, A River Runs Through It, page 11 in my edition . The last part of the quote was in the movie as the now adult young men were sharing a drink on the courthouse steps...

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 05-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thumbs up

Another easy one....

"Nick looked down into the pool from the bridge. It was a hot day. A kingfisher flew up the stream. It was a long time since Nick had looked into a stream and seen trout. They were very satisfactory. As the shadow of the kingfisher moved up the stream, a big trout shot upstream in a long angle, only his shadow marking the angle, then lost his shadow as he came through the surface of the water, caught the sun, and then, as he went back into the stream under the surface, his shadow seemed to float down stream with the current, unresisting, to his post under the bridge where he tightened facing up into the current.
    Nick's heart tightened as the trout moved. He felt all the old feeling."
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    Another easy one....

"Nick looked down into the pool from the bridge. It was a hot day. A kingfisher flew up the stream. It was a long time since Nick had looked into a stream and seen trout. They were very satisfactory. As the shadow of the kingfisher moved up the stream, a big trout shot upstream in a long angle, only his shadow marking the angle, then lost his shadow as he came through the surface of the water, caught the sun, and then, as he went back into the stream under the surface, his shadow seemed to float down stream with the current, unresisting, to his post under the bridge where he tightened facing up into the current.
    Nick's heart tightened as the trout moved. He felt all the old feeling."

...and after a bit of a hike : "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

LF,

I also got it right away because I dearly love both the book and "the movie." The theme of wishing to help another and not knowing what to do or having your help rejected is very close to a situation that I am having with one of my adult children. 8T

Love it - anyone can play, have a quote?

What took you so long? *S* Actually I was 'thumbing' through A River Runs Through It, Bringing A Classic To the Screen Introduction by Robert Redford, Screenplay and Essay By Richard Friedenberg. Published by the Clark City Press (Livingston, MT) which has the screenplay and photographs of the time period and of the film. Very neat! May be listed in your library under "Film" (Quote from Page
    ISBN 0-944439-50-0

Two gold stars on this one *S*

Default Got it!

But I'll let someone who doesn't have a room full of fishing books try and get this one first *S*

+ Reply to Thread