In my situation, I work 5 and ahalf days a week every week. This only leaves me Saturday evening to go fishing and with a wife and 6 year old son, not many of those come around. I prefer fishing for trout, but where I live it is at least 45 minutes to the nearest trout stream. That is an hour and a half round trip. So last saturday I went practicing for trout.

There is a local creek about 10 minutes from my house where there are plenty of creek chubs and a few carp. The carp aren't big like you find in a pond, but I'd say anywhere from 2 to 3 pound range. The important thing for me, is it is in a stream, where I practice casting and presentation. The water is also perfectly clear and the fish can see me as well as I can see them. I caught several creek chub, and 2 carp. One about 10 inches long. Which I caught on a bee pattern sent to me by my secret santa last Christmas. thanks santa

Now you know my situation, here is my question. The carp held in the water perfectly still, then all at once they would just go every which away. I think there must have been a hatch going on, but I couldn't figure out what they were eating. i picked up a big rock and found 2 critters underneath. I don't know what they were, but i had a fly that was roughly the same shape size and color. But they wouldn't hit it for anything. So my question is, do you need to match the hatch on carp? All I caught were the smaller ones, which made me wonder if I was catching the less experienced fish? I'm not sure what they were doing, i wondered briefly if they were mating, but I don't think so. Any help at all would be appreciated. i'd like to go back this week and practice some more. I want to catch a fish big enough to play. That way when i hook a big ole brown someday, i'll know what to do.

thanks in advance,
hNt

PS The carp on the bee pattern wasn't caught on top of the water. The water was swift enough it put the bee under water, just like a real drowned terrestrial would be. I really didn't think it would work, but it did.