Thread: The Lady in the Harbor September 17th 1991

Threaded View

Default The Lady in the Harbor September 17th 1991

sol.jpg

The Lady in the Harbor
    By Steven H. McGarthwaite, (Parnelli)
    Reader's Cast, September 17th 2001

September 11th, 2001, the day that will be remembered by all who were alive when destruction fell out of the sky. The whole world stood still, in shock that the United States of America had fallen victim to the worst act of terrorism in the history of humankind.

We watched live television broadcast the second airliner as it crashed into the second tower of the World Trade Center. It was only then we found out we were not watching a terrible accident, but the second attack on the United States of America.

Before the day was over, we saw the Pentagon hit by a third plane. Our Government in Washington DC was dispersed to safe sites. We were left to wonder who hated us so much that they would take so many innocent lives.

We shall grieve and mourn those who died that day, and will remember the courage of those who responded without thought to save others at the risk of their own lives. Be thankful that those who planned this attack did not hit that which we cherish most. The terrorists thought they had struck at what we hold most dear. They struck at at symbols of monetary wealth by attacking the World Trade Center. They struck at symbols of power by attacking the Pentagon. They were planning to strike another symbol also, but that plane crashed because the passengers overpowered the terrorists on the plane before they could carry out their plans.

130 years ago the people of France gave us a precious gift for the 100th birthday of our country. The Statue of Liberty! While the Towers burned and crumbled and people suffered to see them fall, she stood nearby unbowed.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she, with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor, you huddled masses yearning to breathe free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The smoke and dust drifted in the air across the water. Tears in her eyes she stood proud, for she knows her children. They are strong and will prevail against all evil, and help her keep lit the light of of freedom and democracy. She stands by the Golden Door.

May God Bless American as we grieve and mourn our loss. ~ Parnelli

On September 11th 1991, after spending most of the day in church, after witnessing the attack on the World Trade Towers, I felt a need to express my anger and rage over this terrorist attack on the United States, and the death and destruction that I had just witnessed on television.

I sat down and wrote the above article in less than 5 miniutes, expressing what i felt. While writing the above article I felt as if these were not my words of expressing grief, instead these words were being dictated to me! ~SFC Steven H. McGarthwaite, U.S. Army Retired

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 05-02-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli