+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with Lamson Radius, please?

Hybrid View

Default Help with Lamson Radius, please?

I just bought a Lamson Radius 2 on ebay (this model: http://www.iflyshop.com/Lamson-Radius_p_749.html, which is no longer made) . I am not familiar with Lamson reels (been a Ross guy for a long time). I want to change the direction of retrieve from left-hand-wind to right-hand-wind. The first obstacle I encounter, right away, is that I don't know how to remove the spool from the frame! There's no little lever or button or anything obvious. Can anyone advise me how to change the retrieve on this reel? Feeling pretty dumb right now.

Thanks.

Flyflinger

Email the folks at Lamson. They are usually very prompt and helpful.

Rich
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

The spool is held on with a o-ring. To remove it you push it off from the back or simply pull it off. It takes a pretty good push (or pull) to get it to release and will come off with a pop. After you do it a few times it becomes easier and will make more sense. You got yourself a pretty nice reel. I like them a lot.

Okay, problem solved! I contacted the ebay seller who gave me the telephone number of Lamson. I called Lamson, talked to a young lady named Jen (who understood my problem as soon as I explained it and knew exactly how to guide me through the process - I'm impressed), and the reel now has reversed retrieve. This certainly makes a good impression on me for the Waterworks-Lamson company!

If your Lamson is like mine, make sure the gear is plenty tight. After I switched from left to right hand retrieve, I had a Steelhead make a run that unscrewed it. I was left with the spool and line in one hand and the rod and reel frame in the other. I didn't land that fish.

Best customer service there is. Jay is right, but as long as you get it put back together tight, you'll never have to think about it ever again. Great reels.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Oh, ... Congrats on finding a really good reel. I have a box of 'em and they are my "go-to" reels for friends and clients!!
    Christopher Chin

don't know how to change the retrieve, but the spool just pulls off. no lever or screws to push or remove, just a firm pull will do it.

i've got 3 different models, LP, radius and velocity, 5 total. I love them and may never buy another brand. the reels are great and the service is even better. once bought the wrong spool for a velocity off ebay, had old model bout new, and lamson traded me spools. what other company would do that. and if you send the reel in for service they will replace the bearing and drag cone for free or any other part for that matter for free.
    Last edited by rizeye; 05-10-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Lamson reels are the best. Just go on you tube and search for Lamson reels. There's videos on the reels about each model right from the mfgs.

+ Reply to Thread