+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinks!!

Default Drinks!!

I saw a promising thread with [B]Drinking[/B ]in the title but it was about fracking. There was a thread on good recipes for this time of year. But how about one on great drinks. Alcohol. I love beer, single malts, red wine, but I must say that the king of drinks is the extra dry gin Martini! straight up with 2 pimiento stuffed olives. They taste even better with a beautiful lady sitting next to you at an elegant hotel bar. I know there are many challengers to the title and I'd like to hear about them from you all.

My father's idea of an extra dry Martini was to float the cork from the vermouth in the gin briefly...very briefly. *S*

In the old days, when my brother and I went to turkey hunting camp, we would pour a cocktail of chilled gin and two green olives into a glass. Then one of us would say the word vermouth. That was all that was ever added, besides the lies around the campfire. Now I understand that if you soak white raisins in gin for two weeks, then eat 9 of them a day, that it help sooth the pains of arthritis. Go figure. We should have use raisins instead of olives.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Bob,
    "extra dry gin Martini straight up" I cannot argue with or add anything to YOUR "king of drinks" EXCEPT for the choice of olives. I preface my choice by stating I HATE ANCHOVIES. That, however, being said, once upon a time, by error, I was given a martini with ( unbeknownst to me) anchovi stuffed olives. I waited the required moment for proper marination and temperature adjustment of the "fruit" and popped the first on the skewer into my moth. At first a grimace and then to my surprise, a VERY pleasant taste sensation. I was hooked and VERY happy to finally expand my "potent potables" and cullinary horizons to include the previously hated fishy. So life goes on, and, a few months later I had occasion to have dinner at a very nice steak restaurant in Chicago ( you may recognize, Gibson's) and ordered my "extra dry gin Martini, straight up" ( Sapphire Gin) with anchovi olives. "Sorry we do not have anchovi olives but I'll ask the chef and bartenders if they can make some for you" was the waiters reply. I was thrilled that they would go the extra mile for me and KNEW that I would demonstrate my appreciation in terms of a nice tip. Well, comes the martini complete with several anchovi olives. After the "required..........." and with MUCH anticipation, I popped the first olive onto my mouth. I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE!. The reason I once hated anchovies flashed before my eyes and across my taste buds. A ring of fishy oil rimmed the glass and I lost my appetite. BUT, being a gentleman (?) and considering the "extra mile" I didn't say a word and quickly downed the terrible tasting drink. leaving the remaining olives . Needless to say, I ordered my next martini WITHOUT the anchovi olives. The rest of the evening went well, as one would expect at Gibson's, and of course I went my "extra mile" in the tip. JUst before we left, our waiter presented me with a small container of ANCHOVI STUFFED OLIVES since the chef made SEVERAL anticipating my ordering more martinis. Of course I thanked him and asked him to also thank the chef for his kindness.
    Much later, I discovered WHY I originally enjoyed the olives. It was because they were the "store bought, stuffed with anchovi" olives as opposed to the FRESH made. Truust me, the difference in taste is PROFOUND.

I know, the above story is a nail bighter .................................................

Mark

I remember bits and pieces of an Ed Zern story about how to make an extra dry martini that I read years ago. The part that I recall was that he said you should dump a bottle of vermouth in a trout stream and then run downstream and catch some of the water as it flowed by. I wish I remember the rest of the story.

Thinking more about that story, maybe someone should get water from a fracking spill and use it to make Margaritas.
    Last edited by John Rhoades; 04-30-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Don Zahner, the founder of Fly Fisherman magazine was quite a connoisseur of the martini.
    His columns were sprinkled with humorous and loving references to his favorite before, during, and after dinner drink.
    His compilation of columns book, Anglish Spoken Here, is quite the amusing read.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know, the above story is a nail bighter .................................................

Mark
    A nail biter, yes, but told as only you could do. I grimaced while reading when you got to the oil slick. Yuk!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,
    Thanks for correcting ( without ballbust comment) "biter" from my "bighter". Apparently the Jesuits didn't learn me to spell. But that being acknowkedged, let's not forget Mogen David as a drink we ALL enjoyed when we were 10.

Mark

You might also check the spelling of "anchovy".

My father and I have 'toonies' regularly at tea time.
    I like my martinis "perfect". The vermouth takes the bite out of the juniper flavor
    Rocks, gin only, a little "dirty", olives stuffed with cocktail onions

On the side, gingersnaps with blue cheese.... try it
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread