This is cut and pasted from an Arkansas forum I post on. I would think the economics would be similar for all the targeted hatcheries.

For Norfork, according to the Fish and Wildlife Service "For each $1 spent of budget expenditures, $5.86 tax revenue was generated." - http://www.fws.gov/norfork/

From http://www.fws.gov/greersferry/
"Annual budget (FY 09) $458,086.
Annual economic impact of trout production at Greers Ferry NFH $45.7 million (1999 dollars)"
Granted, this doesn't address todays money, but I would assume the ratio is close to the same.

Arkansas state Senator Johnny Key introduced legislation requesting continued federal funding. The resolution says that the two hatcheries have a total economic impact of $150 million but only cost $1.5 million to run. Together, the fisheries also create $5.5 million in federal tax revenue ($3.65 to every $1 in operating expenses.)

Mr. Key also shows that Bull Shoals and Norfork generate almost $100 million in electricity and the the dam system on the White and Little Red River averted $51.4 million in flood damages in the last fiscal year. Per Key, the trout fisheries value is almost equal to the value of electricity and flood control combined.

One of the arguments is that the hatcheries were promised as a way to replace the warm water species that were lost in the streams that were dammed. It was part of the bargain made in exchange for the dams on the White/Little Red River system. Water is too cold to support a viable smallmouth population. That's why they're not in those areas now. It's plausible that if there are no more stockings and the Little Red River goes to catch and release only, it MIGHT be able to support a brown trout population, but that's a big might. We may have to see, but I hope not.

What I don't get about it is that this is a proven revenue stream for the federal govt (at least according to the Fish and Wildlife service) and they want to end it. As strapped as the gov't is, you think they would be more than happy to have the hatcheries there.