This is not a political discussion. I have noticed that some of us have already been forced to change their plans for fly fishing trips this year due to the higher cost of gas, food, lodging and so on. We have even been forced to cancel our plans to go to Niagara Falls this year.

Yesterday I decided to go ahead and put my small car (ZX2) back on the road even though my 01 Sable gets decent mileage. When you drive as far as I do for work an extra 3 to 5 MPG adds up. Well I needed a battery so of I go to get one. When I checked the price of a battery for it three months back they were $64.99+tx. Last time I bought one about 5 years ago they were $34.99+tx. Yesterday the cheapest battery I could find was $84.99+tx!

So then it's off to the local meat market we go. Got a "deal" on a whole top sirloin at $3.29 per pound. That set us back about $45 bucks. Didn't like paying that much but I am tired of eating chicken and pork. Beat the heck out of paying $6.99 per pound for a single top sirloin steak! What happened to the days when mom and dad used to come home with the trunk, back seat, floors and front seat of the car filled with groceries then complain because between food and gas they almost spent $75 dollars? My dad made really good money back then too.

Well getting back to the point of all of this. I myself will not be taking any long range trips this year except I am holding out hope of a gathering with Grubb, Ohiotuber and whoever else wants to join us in Virginia later on. That is it. All other fishing probably will be limited to within 100 miles or so of home. I will use my new tent at some of the campgrounds so I can at least pretend I am in Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee or some other place. Not that the local area here in Penns Woods is lacking for great fly fishing but part of the fun is in the voyage.

So how many of you will alter your plans due to the higher prices this summer?