+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the higher cost of living impact your fly fishing plans this summer?

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Default Will the higher cost of living impact your fly fishing plans this summer?

This is not a political discussion. I have noticed that some of us have already been forced to change their plans for fly fishing trips this year due to the higher cost of gas, food, lodging and so on. We have even been forced to cancel our plans to go to Niagara Falls this year.

Yesterday I decided to go ahead and put my small car (ZX2) back on the road even though my 01 Sable gets decent mileage. When you drive as far as I do for work an extra 3 to 5 MPG adds up. Well I needed a battery so of I go to get one. When I checked the price of a battery for it three months back they were $64.99+tx. Last time I bought one about 5 years ago they were $34.99+tx. Yesterday the cheapest battery I could find was $84.99+tx!

So then it's off to the local meat market we go. Got a "deal" on a whole top sirloin at $3.29 per pound. That set us back about $45 bucks. Didn't like paying that much but I am tired of eating chicken and pork. Beat the heck out of paying $6.99 per pound for a single top sirloin steak! What happened to the days when mom and dad used to come home with the trunk, back seat, floors and front seat of the car filled with groceries then complain because between food and gas they almost spent $75 dollars? My dad made really good money back then too.

Well getting back to the point of all of this. I myself will not be taking any long range trips this year except I am holding out hope of a gathering with Grubb, Ohiotuber and whoever else wants to join us in Virginia later on. That is it. All other fishing probably will be limited to within 100 miles or so of home. I will use my new tent at some of the campgrounds so I can at least pretend I am in Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee or some other place. Not that the local area here in Penns Woods is lacking for great fly fishing but part of the fun is in the voyage.

So how many of you will alter your plans due to the higher prices this summer?

Yep. My Spring and Summer trips are all on hold as well. I'm using it as a chance to get reaquainted with some of the local water I've been neglecting. My fall trip with my wife is set in stone. At this point it would cost almost as much to cancel as to go so we're going, but that may be the only one this year.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

For the last several years I have been restricted due to my wife's medical problems. This summer I plan on going where I want, when I want and not worry about the extra cost of gas.

Tim

The only thing restricting me is time off. My kids are scattered all over so I have to take vacation to see them and the grand kids. The good lord has blessed me with a job and I am getting some of my retirement from previous jobs so I have paid off over $500 in payments per month. I basicly have no vacation left so my trips will be short 2 day trips locally. I am jonesing to get up to Montana. A few places up there I want to try but alas that will be next year. We raise our own pork and beef and have a big garden so that helps. I am blessed to live in the great state of Idaho and I can go downtown after work and get some excellent fishing in if I want. I think work around the house is cramping my fishing more then anything else.

I won't change things too much. The last year, I have fished locally with friends more to save on gas, as my local trips often involve drives of over an hour each way. I will still do the drive by myself, but less often. I will be less likely to do longer day trips or weekend trips by myself.

I have a trip planned to Yellowstone in August, and most of that is already paid for, so that trip is still on. Travel involving air fare is getting expensive, so I plan on taking a day off of work and driving 500 miles to visit my family on Thanksgiving this year instead of flying. I prefer to use my days off for fishing.

My wife and I are planning (airline tickets purchased) back to Florida in October. But locally due to the price of gas, I will most likely limit my trips ( 4 hours one way) to the trout waters and fish warm water closer to home.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Not me...... I work for a living (still) and my time off is at a premium...... I will go do whatever I get a chance to, whenever I get a chance to..... I can't do a dang thing about the price of gas, so I ain't gonna fret on it. It adds maybe $$15 to the cost of a weekend so I don't care.... Happy fishin' everybody !!!!! ..........ModocDan

I'm going to skip fishing on rainy days I think.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post

So how many of you will alter your plans due to the higher prices this summer?
    There will be way fewer folks fishing in Montana. It will be a great time to go.

The gasoline prices in 2008 peaked at over $4/gal. During our July drive from Wisconsin to Montana and from Montana back to Wisconsin, we saw NO class C motorhomes. On the entire drive we saw only 2 class A motorhomes.

On several stretches of I-94, there were times when we saw no semis, trucks or autos in front or behind us. Zero vehicles other than us for 3 miles of interstate. It was eerie.

When we went to Slide Inn, the shop was empty of customers. When have you ever gone into the Slide Inn in July and the parking lot has been empty? We talked to Kelly Galloup, and he said that was the first year his campsites were not full in July. Bad new

Here are sequential photos of the parking lot a $3 Bridge in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

It is late morning and in 2008 there were are only 2 cars in the lower parking lot, the upper was empty except for us and the lot across the bridge had one car. We has the river to ourselves!!

The next year (2009), the lower parking lot is full as is the lot across the river and the upper lot is also full.

Spend the money and go this year. It will cost more but you will have better fishing.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

i really dont have any far off trips planned, mostly within an hour or so of my house, and im still planning to fish till my arms fall off!

+ Reply to Thread