+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Packing for a flight?

Hybrid View

Question Packing for a flight?

Well, I'm leaving for Indiana this Thursday for my sister's college graduation, which is great! However, we're flying there then driving back. We are leaving from Portland, OR (PDX) then into Chicago and a bus ride down to Goshen, IN. While heading back West we will be traveling on I-90 which will go through Rushmore, Yellowstone, and many of my favorite places in West Montana, and N. Idaho. Can't wait to check out some of E. Montana!

My question is about getting gear on a plane, what needs to be checked what can be carried on? The other alternative is to rent as we go, but then I couldn't just hop out and fish. I'd be taking my 4pc. rod, waist pack and not sure if I should grab the waders or not?

I heard the only thing you can carry on is the rod? The reel and other stuff needs to be checked, and don't want to spend $$ on putting stuff under a plane only for them to loose. I thought about sending the gear back to my sister via UPS or the likes but don't know what may happen once it gets to her dorm (apparently she doesn't either)? I've got a couple grand locked up in these few items and couldn't bare to have them stolen or lost and afford to replace them. Should I just rent, buy flies, tippet, leader, ect... that can add up quick too and with gas prices for that long a distance we'll be looking at a lot there too. Ahhhhhh......

-Jake
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Jake;
    I've always just bit the bullet and checked my gear, so far so good.
    Check out "Dakota Anglers and Outfitter" in Rapid City, SD. They even sent me a map of places to fish Rapid Creek right in town when we get there next September (where you can hop out and fish!). www. flyfish@rapidnet.com or www.flyfishsd.com for thier web page.

I fly out to Denver through Chicago and check bags with a 4pc rod and gear to visit our son and fish the South Platte. One thing to be sure to do if you do it this way is buy one of those bag locks that the TSA has approved for use. Then lock your checked baggage - the TSA can open the lock but no one else is supposed to be able to do so. If you have big bucks tied up in gear then consider some form of insurance (check your home owner's policy might even cover it that way). Having just retired and moving to Colorado, we will be making the trip out ourselves in a few months and you just gave me inspiration for fishing along the way, especially in SD. Thanks!
    Bob

Bob;
    Welcome aboard from a ex-michigander.

I flew to Alaska last September and carried on my flies, waders, boots, rod and reels -- except for the 4 piece rods, it all fit in a small back pack. I had no problem with TSA ( I thought I might with the flies but they actually suggested carrying them due to their fragile nature) -- check out their web site and they will tell you what you can carry and what not.

My reason for carrying on what I did was that I didn't want to take a chance of losing any of these things because there was no way to replace them where I was going in Alaska. Loose my waders or boots and I was screwed. On the way home, packed everything in the luggage and used the TSA locks and everything made it home OK.

Where you are going, if you did lose something, there are ample fly shops to be able to rent or replace your gear.

Thanks, Jack - now I finally have the time to pursue this the way I have wanted all these years... my Dad taught me the basics in the 1970's and I sporadically fished over the years but now have the time to go at it. It is good to be here.
    Bob

I'm with Orthoman. I just flew to NOLA last month and carried on everything I needed. I do suggest that if you are checking a bag, you should put your forceps in there. If the TSA folk see them, they missed the first time for me and saw them on the way home, they will stop you to search the bag. They didn't have a problem with them once they realized they were not scissors.

All the best,
    Dave
    WCCNovice

+ Reply to Thread