Well, I'm leaving for Indiana this Thursday for my sister's college graduation, which is great! However, we're flying there then driving back. We are leaving from Portland, OR (PDX) then into Chicago and a bus ride down to Goshen, IN. While heading back West we will be traveling on I-90 which will go through Rushmore, Yellowstone, and many of my favorite places in West Montana, and N. Idaho. Can't wait to check out some of E. Montana!

My question is about getting gear on a plane, what needs to be checked what can be carried on? The other alternative is to rent as we go, but then I couldn't just hop out and fish. I'd be taking my 4pc. rod, waist pack and not sure if I should grab the waders or not?

I heard the only thing you can carry on is the rod? The reel and other stuff needs to be checked, and don't want to spend $$ on putting stuff under a plane only for them to loose. I thought about sending the gear back to my sister via UPS or the likes but don't know what may happen once it gets to her dorm (apparently she doesn't either)? I've got a couple grand locked up in these few items and couldn't bare to have them stolen or lost and afford to replace them. Should I just rent, buy flies, tippet, leader, ect... that can add up quick too and with gas prices for that long a distance we'll be looking at a lot there too. Ahhhhhh......

-Jake