+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question on repair

Default question on repair

gust of wind closed the door on the butt section of my DiamondGlass, where the blank appears to be doubled thick in the butt end. it would appear that all i hjave in damage is some cracked clear and missing paint, i inspected it with a magnifying glass. should i sand with 1000 grit to remove the cracked clear coat then use some spar varnish, 3 coats on it? i hate to send it back for repair if its not broken. My question is , am i planning to do the correct repair to keep the epoxy sealed? thanks in advance
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

yes sand it down and bevel the edges. No do not use spar varnish. You want a automotive clear coat that is flexable. You can get it in spray cans. Lightly spray it so the repair matches the rod and finish sand with 3000 grit wet dry then polish with auto polish or a good acrylic polish. Should be good as new. Or option 2 let it go and remember the memories.

Bob,
    i follow what you are saying, but the paint, its gone, its scratched right down to the glass or scrim. either i can be sick over it , or let it serve as a reminder. Its my daily fisher so i hate to give it up .
    Last edited by flybugpa; 04-23-2011 at 10:05 AM.

From reading your posts, I feel this rod means a lot to you and is your favorite. With that thought in mind and I put myself in your "shoes", I would take it to someone who builds rods and have them look at it and advise you on if there is any damage to the rods strength. Let that person tell you what they would do to fix it. They could also advise you if they feel it should be sent back to the manufacturer for repair/replacement. I think you would be very upset if you just fished it as it is and it broke. Even if the strength of the rod is not damaged, you would be constantly worrying if it is which would be taking the pleasure of the fishing trip away.

Just take it to someone who knows rod building and refinishing and let them advise you on what should be done. Even if you have to send it back to the manufacturer and wait for them to repair/replace it, you would have peace of mind when fishing it after you got it back.

Just my opinion and what I would do and nothing more......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

You can check it yourself also. First thing is go cast it with the heaviest streamer/nymph/lead configuration you use and listen and feel for any unusual noises,popping,clicking, etc. If that is okay then attach your line to some immovable object and SLOWLY put a bend into the rod till you have a good amount of deflection. Do not overstress but get a good solid bend in the rod. If it does not break or make sounds or show signs of worsening in that area you should be ok.

i have fished it and noticed nothing, there is mininmal deflection in that area, right at the sticker, i believe i am going to send it back for repair so i can sleep better. i am taking it to YNP early this summer. i don't want any surprises. thanks to all who repied

+ Reply to Thread