+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part 2 You know you're in Montana when:

Default Part 2 You know you're in Montana when:

This makes the FRONT PAGE of the local paper (Livingston Enterprise):

Complaints end goldfish racing at Wash. state bar
    Tacoma, Wash (AP) - The weekly gold fish races at a Tacoma bar are canceled after it received complaints from animal rights activists.
    Every Tues night the Harmon Tap Room would feather races in which cheap feed fish from a pet store were "raced" down two 8-foot troughs. Races guided the fish with squirt bottles.
    Bartender Joel Cummings told KIRO-FM the fish were cared for when they weren't racing but occasionally they would pass away.....

P.S. After complaints by phone and email, the Harmon Tap Room replaced goldfish racing with beer pong. (Do any of you know what beer pong is?)
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 04-22-2011 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Add P.S.

Blog Entries

It is a sad day indeed, the end of NASCARP racing. PETA really knows how to pick their battles.

Larry ---sagefisher---

sagefisher you are too funny! NASCARP I lover it!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I saw where they were having NASCRAB racing in a bar in S/W Florida on one of the fishing shows on TV today. The bar featured a guitar player who was also a boat captain/fishing guide. Not sure if any of the crabs died. The crabs had it all wrong though. They raced in a circle around the center of a table with only RIGHT turns.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

REALLY REALLY their FEEDER fish i mean their meant to be feed to other critters. Don't tell them about the crickets and roaches i feed to my scorpions and tarantulas.

Oh no whats next the weenier dog races. oh oh the frog jumping contests.

Blog Entries

In the 1960s and 1970's In the Queen Charlotte Islands Sandspit bar we used to have earwig races . We used a 3/4 inch piece of marine plywood with 1/4 inch slots cut down the full length. A piece of glass was set on the top to keep the bugs from crawling out of the top. There were 10 starting gates for the bugs and at the gun ( Traditionally the bartender would let out a loud burp ) and off they'd go. Sometimes the race was over in minutes but sometimes it took over a 1/2 hour depending on whether or not the earwigs chose to move or rest. No one was allowed to touch the racetrack table or influence them in anyway as there was often more than a $1000.00 bet on the outcome. The Loggers and fishermen who inhabited the bar would sometimes bet a weeks wage on their favorite bug. I once saw a fellow pay $500.00 for a really fast bug named Rhoda that sadly let him down in the next race when It came sauntering out the end of the slot In 6th place. In a bit of a snit He brought down his fist smartly on top of the bug while uttering a very vile logger style curse. Then he ordered a picture of beer quickly drank the whole thing by himself then passed out. He didn't believe us the next day when we told him how he had lost his paycheck.

In 1971 Beautiful BC Magazine did a two page article on the race, consequently some government offical showed up on the next plane visited the bar and closed the race down permanently then flew away. A wise choice because if those angry loggers had caught up with him He would not have been a happy camper.

PS Native kids used to sell them to the Loggers just outside the Hotel entrance for a buck or so, but if you were too cheap to give the kids a buck It was easy to find yourself a new racer right there in the bar you didn't even need to leave the room.

peta apparently doesn't care for earwigs as we never heard from them about the cruelty involved in a 10 foot earwig race. Oh! the Horror!
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 04-22-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Doesn't PETA stand for People Eating Tasty Animals?
    Wyo-Blizzard

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

YES Byron, and we all know that they do eat meat. !!!! And FISH !!

Back in the late sixties, early seventies, there was a bar in Sausalito, CA (duh!) that held turtle races.

Can you possibly fathom that today in Marin County???!!!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread