I use the Orvis insert with great success. The way I do it is to tie on my nymph with a clinch knot then at the other end of the tippet I tie a duncan's loop. I place the duncan's loop around one of the clips on the side of the insert, then I wrap the tippet around the short way, then I stick the fly point into the foam covering the tippet. I am able to put six setups on each insert with no tangles.

I think our difference is that you wrap the long way around and I wrap the short way around.

I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
If somebody wouldn't mind, what's the secret to getting the Orvis inserts to work? I have one and so does a friend and we've both commented on how we can't get our flies to stay in the foam. Granted, we typically are using barbless flies, but I assume many others do as well. Mine was given to me, so if there were instructions, I've never seen them. I sink the bottom fly into the foam, wrap the tippet around the long dimension of the insert and then sink the hook of the top fly in wherever it happens to fall. In addition to the fact that I can't seem to store as many as I would have imagined on the doggone thing, far too often I find that some of the flies have come loose. More tension wouldn't seem to be the answer, because it will just exert downward pull on the top fly. Too little tension seems like it doesn't help either. Just curious - thanks for any help!