+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caught 2 Carp on the White last week

Default Caught 2 Carp on the White last week

Was fishing the White River in Cotter last week for rainbows/cuts/browns, and caught 2 carp...i know some people like em but all I could think was 'ewwww'.

They were both small compared to the larger ones I saw swimmming at my feet. What was spookiest was how they 'squeak' when you're pulling the hook out. *shudder*

Nice. I have never heard a carp squeek before. Sure you didnt just forget to oil your reel lol.

Really that it weird about the squeek. I have been around tons of carp fisherman for a while and never once have i heard of that.

Was it a common carp?

Well I'm not really sure what kind of carp it was, I'm not exactly a carp officianodo. It was dark grey with a white belly. When I was cradling it to loosen the hook, its sucker mouth was still sucking, and it kind of squeaked....I know I'm going to have a nightmare tonight thinking about it again!

Texas, if it was dark gray w/white belly, it wasn't a carp. Probably a chub.

Texas,

I live in North Carolina and right now the creeks are full of suckers. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe a creek chub grows into a sucker. From the colors you described, it sounds to me like you caught a sucker. They do not get as big as carp and generally 2-3 pounds is what I've seen this Spring. Nonetheless, I'm sure they were a blast on a flyrod.

Probably right guys, it probably was a chubb. They were small fish (less than 10 inches) and fought almost like a rainbow. I couldn't tell a difference really until I got them in closer.

Still, that squeaking noise was creepy.

Blog Entries

Tex,
    If you think those chubs sound creepy wait till you catch a water dog! They not only sound creepy but look like some kind of monster too.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Doesn't sound like a carp to me, either. Could be a Sheepshead/Drum or Quillback. I believe the Sheepshead croak, and are not good fighters from my experience.

There's a picture of a large specimen here:
    [url=http://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32238&highlight=sheepshead:a92e5]http://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32238&highlight=sheepshead[/url:a92e5]

+ Reply to Thread