+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thanks ..... and passing it on

Hybrid View

Default Thanks ..... and passing it on

Several years ago (5-6) I was in a swap on this forum. One of the guys in the swap was running a bit late on his flies and sent some small midges (20's and 22's) to each swap participant. He was apologetic because the the simplicity of the fly itself. If I remember correctly, I received 4 of the midges. I put them in my flybox hoping to put them to use some day. About a week later I was fishing my favorite tailrace. At the time I was relatively new to this type of fishing, having honed my skills on Catch and Release streams thus far. About mid day I decided to try the midges. It was unreal! Since then, my fishing has almost become one dimensional as I primarily use a dry with midge dropper. I have a very great appreciation for the effectiveness of the midge.

If you have not midge fished very much I want to encourage you to give it a try, provided you have waters that are conducive to midge fishing.

Here's the deal ...... if there are 6 people who would appreciate a small sample pack of midges I will gladly send them. All I need is your address. These are not fancy, intricate midges. They are simple but effective. Some will have small tungsten bead heads, some will not. Each pack will have 5-6 midges. Would prefer these to go to those who have not midge fished before. First 6 to respond will get them. Please pm me your address.

This site has been a great source of help and education for me. I continue to be amazed by the generous nature many on this board share.

Thanks for everything.

Greg

What a day brightener!!! You, Greg, are what this site is all about!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

If i'm not too late I'd give it a try. I've never tried a two-fly system. I'll pm you my address if i'm in the running...thanks. I too, give back to fly fishing as I am teaching a college student casting and where and how to fish.

Greg,
    I am another who has never fished a midge even though an old local friend swore by them for a local stream. I've never tied them either due to my vision, sticking to larger stuff, so if I'm not too late, I would appreciate taking you up on your generosity.
    Whether or not I am on time, thanks for your kind offer.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Mike,

Those small midges are a pain to tie on as a dropper if you have a vision problem but there is a way around that. While at home, pre-tie some midge droppers to the larger dry(s) that you will be using. That way you can have plenty of light and a magnifying glass if you use one. You only need no more than 18 inches of tippet on your dropper, sometimes 12 inches. Coil them and place in a baggie then you only need to tie your larger fly onto your leader/tippet to start fishing.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I am new to fly fishing and would be honored to try your concept. Thanks kindly. I will P.M . address.

Turvy, Mike, and Mike .... you are in. Betty, if you'd like some let me know. Still have three packs available.

Thanks again everyone.

Greg

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Kudos to you Greg !! You're showin the spirit and philosophy that makes me love FAOL and the fisher folk I meet out there fishin'
    Proud to be a part of this group and this sport with ya!! Dan

Greg,
    I didn't post in an attempt to get the flies ... I just wanted to tell you thank you!
    Please, let someone who will be able to get out and fish, have that packet!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread