+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tonight Just For The Heck of It

Default Tonight Just For The Heck of It

I took the Yamame out to Bacon Creek to see if I could catch anything under adverse conditions of wind, rain, cold & darkness. I used a strike indicator rig with a hare's ear & a black micro jig as a dropper. The wind was too strong to cast directly into it so I mostly cast across it but even so my casts didn't quite go where I wanted them too. First I fished some rip rap near the parking lot. It's hot now & then and always worth checking out. Tonight it was a blank. I then went to a shallow corner of the lake on the downwind side. Got blanked there too. I then went to a favorite spot near a sunken log that has part of a branch sticking out of the water making it easy to find. It's near some deeper water and usually reliable. After a few casts a bluegill struck and came to hand. My hands were getting really cold by then as I had forgotten to bring gloves but wanted to try one more spot so I packed up and went there. I cast a few times got nothing but then landed a cast that I had no idea where it went. I never did figure that out because a second bluegill hit. Sweet success! My hands were getting really cold then so I released the fish and headed back to the parking lot.
    Tenkara does work under adversity.

Even a couple fish to hand is a good outing in windy conditions. The line is so light it is hard to control in the wind. A slightly heavier fluorocarbon level line will work best then.
    Tenkara Bum

Early season conditions can be tough, but when things warm up, I've actually had some of my best days fishing under very windy conditions. If you can find a place to fish where the wind is at your back, you can use the wind to make some very realistic presentations. Particularly imitating things like egg laying caddis.
    It isn't classic fishing, but with the long rod and light line, it is very effective. At least to me, it beats just going home.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread