+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q's on wading staffs and fly boxes

Default Q's on wading staffs and fly boxes

Hi all,
    As I sit and recover with WAY too much time to surf the web, I am looking for opinions on:
    Wading staffs - I'm ab out 5' 10", 230, and will need something to steady myself on the water. Is more expensive better? Cabelas had one but it got some crummy reviews. So, what's out there?

Fly boxes - I got a Plano 3590 at a flea market, the one with ripple foam on side and 10 compartments on the other. Flambeau Blue Ribbon large is the same dimensions, gotten good reviews. Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

I have used a very reasonably priced (~$20) Bass Pro Shop wading staff for years and have had no trouble with it so far. It supports me well and is durable. I did have one problem with it where the cork handle came loose so I took it back to Bass Pro and they immediately replced it at no charge. I have had the replacement for about 4 years now with no problems.

I hope this helps.

Bob

I got this one from a guide - use a hockey stick shaft. Wrap a handle of paracord and but a bolt in the end so it doesn't break hitting rocks. Drill a hold in the handle and attach a lanyard with a carabiner clip so you clip it to your vest, wading belt, etc. Floats downstream when not in use and supports by ample rump quite well.

However, I made a new one a couple of summers ago - using a broom closet pole. I made it shoulder height so it goes into deeper holes and I have plenty above the waterline to leverage with.

Truly works great and cost just a couple of bucks. Use sandpaper to round over the top and bottom edge - and the paracord handle makes a great grip even when wet.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

If you are going to use a wading staff all the time, even as a walking stick, you can use an old ski pole, broom stick, etc.

But if you want a wading staff that is collapsible and deploys with one hand, I recommend the Folstaff by Fly-Tyers Carry- All. I've had mine for over 30 years and it has been refurbished at a reasonable charge about 10 years ago. They are expensive but worth it. Get the sturdier 3/4" model.

The other quality wading staff is a Simms but they have had a recall on that one.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    If you are going to use a wading staff all the time, even as a walking stick, you can use an old ski pole, broom stick, etc.

But if you want a wading staff that is collapsible and deploys with one hand, I recommend the Folstaff by Fly-Tyers Carry- All. I've had mine for over 30 years and it has been refurbished at a reasonable charge about 10 years ago. They are expensive but worth it. Get the sturdier 3/4" model.

The other quality wading staff is a Simms but they have had a recall on that one.
    I bought a Folstaff this spring from MRfc http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...rchResult.aspx
    It is great, stays out of the way unless you need it. Saved me from falls and I can wade from place to place much faster than without it.
    Be sure to lube the joints with wax as directed - they give you some wax, ferrule wax works well too
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I've used a wading staff ever since I got back into fly fishing about ten or twelve years ago. I wade with mine open all the time and also use it to hike, climb and stab other fishermen who crowd me. I literally don't go trout fishing without it. Call it a "sissy stick or a ladies' aid" if you wish, I call it a "life saver." I can't begin to count the falls and stumbles that it has saved me from. Mine is a Folstaff knock-off that I got from either Cabela's or Hook and Hackle. I've got no complaints what so ever except that like all foldable staffs, it can disjoint in the middle if you jam it into a muddy bank and try to pull it out quickly. Just my opinion. 8T

Blog Entries

2nd the Folstaff. On the flyboxes there are alot of knockoffs on the market of all the most popular styles. I like the foam slits best of all and some have extra leaves in them. Most of the knockoffs can be had for $8-$15, saving you more than double on namebrands that sell in the $40-50 range.
    Last edited by wizard; 04-15-2011 at 05:51 PM.

3rd on Folstaff, if you want to include the late JC make it 4 *S*
    LF

Never used a wading staff so I have no input.
    Fly boxes are personal preference. As you use them, you will know what works best for you. That's about the best way I can put it.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Absolutely Folstaf! The 3/4", 50" long staff will be perfect for your height. You'll pay in the vicinity of $100.00 or so, but your life is well worth the investment.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread