+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 Confluence Chest Pack

Default 2011 Confluence Chest Pack

It may be too early, but can anyone share their opinions on the 2011 Confluence Chest Pack made William Joseph? It has magnetic closures. Is it roomy and does it stay put even when the back pack is loaded?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

lastchance,

I cannot help you with any of your questions, but, I have often wondered if the newer packs with the magnetic closures would have any effect on someone with a pacemaker? I have no medical knowledge and my concern may be a waste of time. Just thinking outloud again and nothing more......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Not sure about the Confluence pack, but a guide friend has the Amp chest pack and loves it. I have looked at getting one for myself.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Well, I don't have a pacemaker so I'm clear there. I do know the magnets are strong and work very well. I only hesitate to purchase it because the chest packs I've had before would ride up to my chin when I put stuff in the back pack. I really hate that. I used one, won't mention the name, that I wore out West 2 years ago and it did just that. It was a struggle and very uncomfortable fior 7 days.
    Bruce

I have a Plano chest pack that is virtually identical to the Confluence except for the colour and the zippers - and it only cost $49 - howeve seem to be discontinued this year. The layout and options are identical. I agree that chest packs can tend to ride up or down and thus need to be balanced. Often I have the opposite problem to what you mentioned, so put my water bottle in the back to keep the front from riding too low!. I also have the previous model of the WaterMark chest pack (also a WmJO product but does not have the WmJo colours or label). For both packs I find the 'natural' curve of shoulder straps and the fact they are lined with foam helps the pack settle where it should. For an afternoon of fishing I only have to hitch it level two or three times.

Regarding size: Sunglasses or such can go in the small front-most pouch. Leaders, tippet, etc. can go in the middle pouch, 4 fly boxes go in the main pouch. I took out the foam that is meant to hold flies. There are two tiny side pockets; thermometer goes in one, small garbage (grocery) bag goes in the other. One neat thing is the collection of slim pockets behind the main pouch for hemos, thermometer, hook disgorger etc. Zingers for those items I have attache to the top of the pack, but the WmJo model has two zingers included. I did put quality drying patch on the top-front of the pack.
    There are three back pockets - which pleased me as I don't want to put my lunch in with my raincoat. The smallest one I use for my camera and wallet. There is a snap-clip for your keys. One pocket is good for a sandwich, or snacks. The main pocket is good for a water bottle/thermos and one of either a rain jacket or warm shirt but not both.

I used to have an Orvis Guide vest - even the short one for deep wading. Once I went to chest packs (formerly had two different models from Buck's Bags), I didn't use the vest again and finally sold it. I don't fish more than 1/2 mile from the car, so these chest packs carry enough for 4 hours of fishing even if conditions might change a little during that time.

The only question raised by one of my buddies as we looked at a Confluence at the Ffing show here in Toronto last week is, "Does the magnetic closing hold tight/straight enough in a rain to keep water out?"

I bought one for Katie last year. George D said that they don't ride up. I suspect that if you don't put 6 cans of sardines and 3 cans of beer in the back you will be alright. Why don't you wear my LL Bean one day to check it out?

+ Reply to Thread