+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spiderwire?

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Let us all know how it works for you.
    HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

aged_sage

My concern would be with the strength that beast would have. If the leader has greater breaking strength than the fly line you might be setting yourself for disaster.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

It all depends upon what you are referring to as a "disaster". If the fly line breaks under such conditions, i.e., 12-15lb leader, you were definitely in need of a new fly line! As the world's record large mouth is under 25 pounds, and tarpon weighing in excess of 200 pounds have been caught on fly tackle, not to mention even larger marlin, I fail to see any cause for concern.

aged_sage

This whole furling thing is a new deal for fly fishing to me, my granddad had a gizmo to furl sisal twine into a rope on the farm so I understand the concept. I tried furling some 12 lb. Fireline and was not real happy withthe resultant leader, so I braided one that tapers from 4 strand to 3 strand to 2 strand then the tippet. I figure if it doesn't work our as a leader I can use it for a tow rope.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Default Big furled leader formula

Many years ago, I wrote a "Tying Tip" article about "Thread" that might be a help for those who make their own furled leaders.

In my "Thread" article, I explain the many of the different materials that can be used to make thread, the different methods that can be used to make thread. and the many different sealants used to protect the finished thread.

I have been working on my "Big Furled Leader Formula" for sometime, recently pushing it off to the side, will I convert many of FAOL various article folders over to PDF for a future "Features" CD, and also helping Ron Tidd with the new FOTW listing on the main page. I am also wanting to make a new Furled Leader Board that I break down to 4 ft to 5 ft section lengths for storage. But when assembled can be used to make 10 foot or longer furled tapered leaders that are perfectly balanced, that you do not need a fly rod or fly line to cast them.

When I am ready to get back to my "Big Furled Leader Formula" and satisfied with my number crunching, I will share it with everyone on FAOL. ~Parnelli

My "Thread" article can be found at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part211.php
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Steven,
    In what way are you dissatisfied with your current BFLF?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caribe View Post
    I still have not figured out how to tie on a Volkswagon.
    caribe
    Nail knot on the tailpipe?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I have been using the Fireline Crystal for a few years and find it makes an almost indestructable leader, that being said, always looking for new stuff - anybody tried Berkleys new Nanofil line? I believe it is suppose to float or at least neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by gmac209 View Post
    I have been using the Fireline Crystal for a few years and find it makes an almost indestructable leader, that being said, always looking for new stuff - anybody tried Berkleys new Nanofil line? I believe it is suppose to float or at least neutral.
    That's a good question...been wondering the same thing...really small diameters as I recall.

Mind you, I haven't tried Spiderwire yet myself, but as to not having any elasticity, I would expect furling to ingrain a Spiderwire leader with at least some degree of ‘stretch’ . . . No ?

+ Reply to Thread