+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spiderwire?

Hybrid View

Default Spiderwire?

I'm still a rookie at furling. So far, all I have done till tonight have been leaders made with 6/0 Uni thread. Tonight, while thinking about what material I could use to make a stronger leader, I grabbed a spool of 6# Spiderwire. It has the diameter of 2# mono. I furled a 5-foot leader with a #10 barrel swivel on the small end.
    Does anyone have any experience or opinion dealing with Spiderwire?

Thanks,
    Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

It will not have any elasticity...some folks have been known to add a strand to other materials to add strength and counteract elasticity....but you probably knew that.

Well, I know it has zero elasticity to it. That's what got me thinking this may not be the best idea. Will 3 or so feet of mono or fluorocarbon tippet material counteract that a little bit? No stretch means more sensitivity, too... for streamer/wet fishing, that might help. (?)
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Zac;
    You may find that that leader will handle 5' of tippet for some elasticity.

Zac,
    I use a similar line, fireline crystal for my leaders. The 6lb test is suitable for for a 6-8wt but for my 4 weight I use the 4lb test and my 2 wt I use the 2 lb test. The fusion line is the only material I have found that has stood up to a whole season of skinny water tributary king salmon. The strength and abrasion resistance is amazing. The lack of stretch is good news and bad. The bad is that the line does not want to stay in a tight furl, so I furl it twice. Ater the first twisting, I let it unfurl with hanging weights following the Kathy Scott technique, then I put the leader back on the board and furl it again to about 15% reduction. The leader stays tighter after the second furl. The extra work is worth it. The good part about the low stretch is the leader will not curl up on you after putting extra pressure on the line to undo a snag. Mono is notorious for curling up after snagging something. I have never used spiderwire but I have a feeling that it is very similar to the fireline crystal. I love the leader material but I am sure there is a lot of personal prefernce as well. But, to quote my son after he first used a fireline leader....."Dad, these leaders will turn over a Volkswagon"
    I still have not figured out how to tie on a Volkswagon.
    caribe

I use Spider for all my big game leaders. Mostly 6# . I have very little problem with the no stretch. For a lighter color leader I'll use Mono & add just one length of 6# Spider wire or Fireline Crystal in the leader to increase the strength. With a 3-2-1-1-2-3 leader made from 2# mono it gives me the safety factor I like. I've caught Salmon, Bluefish, large Trout, Bones, & Bass on them with no problem. I add a ring or a swivel sometimes & I taper down to 3X & then down to 5 or 6X for trout. I usually make 5 ft. leaders & they will turn over at least their own length or longer of tippet. I do power furl & let the leader furl on the board & then re-furl pretty tight to get the final tightness I like. I usually twist until failure to get the max twist for any given material with selected weights & from then on, when I get that length of twist, I put the two butt ends on the center (reverse) hook, let it furl naturally & then power furl up quite a bit further, 4-5"'s or so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caribe View Post
    I still have not figured out how to tie on a Volkswagon.
    caribe
    Nail knot on the tailpipe?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Mind you, I haven't tried Spiderwire yet myself, but as to not having any elasticity, I would expect furling to ingrain a Spiderwire leader with at least some degree of ‘stretch’ . . . No ?

+ Reply to Thread