+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing the Upper Connecticut River

Default Fishing the Upper Connecticut River

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I were lucky enough to win a trip at our TU event to the Cabins at Lopstick in Pittsburg New Hampshire. I know it is on the Upper Connecticut River and from what I see on line the fishing looks great. We are going for 4 nights towards the end of July. I am looking for any information about the area and potential guides that have been used by FAOL members. I also am interested in other streams or lakes/ponds close by that have been fished. I only have 3 full days and don't want to waist time when I arrive geting the lay of the land.

Thanks

Steve.

I did not fish there but these guys should be a good source of info. Good luck
    http://www.ncflies.com/

Use the guide service at Lopstick. The river is fairly easy to read, so you will probably only need them for a day. Fish are stocked regularly, and the fishing, generally, is not too technical. Caddis are prevalent in summer, so have EHC and Sparkle Pupa in sizes 12 - 18. Other good flies are Copper John (red & copper), Olive Wooly Bugger, Humpy, and BWO. In the early AM, you might want to try streamers. Black and Grey Ghosts would be my choice.....you might just hook into a really good brookie or landlock. If you are experienced, you will likely not even need a guide. Download a map of the 'Trophy Stretch" of the river from Lopstck. Access points are at Fist Lake Dam, Carr Ridge Bridge, Perry Stream, and Lake Francis State Campground. Just drive down River Road (off rte 3), and pick a spot. For a beginner, I would suggest the section from the Carr Ridge Bridge to Doc's Pool. The river will likely be very crowded that time of year, especially on weekends. In order to beat the crowds, plan to fish early and late. Start at first light, relax during the middle of the day, and fish from late afternoon till dark. I have fished that area since the late sixties, but due to my wife's illness, I likely won't make it this year........catch a few for me!

GADAMS,

Thanks for the information; I will follow your advise it' sounds good. I thought based on what I found on line that I could find places to fish with out a guide no problem however, I did book a guide for a half day to help my wife and learn some inside information about the area. Do you have any information on the lake or pond fishing for trout.

Thanks Again

Steve

I have very little experience on the ponds, and none at the lakes. Ask around at Lopstick, and ask your guide. I do know you will need some kind of watercraft for the pond fishing, and I wouldn't think that late July would be real productive on ponds, but as I said, my stillwater experience is limited.

+ Reply to Thread