Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post

One thing I didn't see mentioned was the fact that although the compara-dun pattern (split mayfly tails) was developed by someone else, the Sparkle Dun (trailing shuck) was modified from the cmpara-dun by Craig Matthews of Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT. Though not unique, the change from split tails to a trailing shuck really boosted the effectiveness of this fly IMO. That being said, is the reason Silver is able to get such quality hair for these flies at the Blue Ribbon shop, they have actually gone in search of the right type of hair, as explained by Silver, in order for us customers to get the right hair, sight unseen through the catalog. Here is a video of Craig tying this fly as he now markets it: http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/how...d_sparkle_dun/

Also, here is his newest Improved Sparkle Dun: http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/how...s_sparkle_dun/

I'm not promoting Blue Ribbon Flies and Craig for any other reason than because I consider Craig a good friend, and why not go to the source for how he ties the fly?

Kelly.
I have no connection with BRF either but of the multiple fly shops in West Yellowstone, it is the very best IMHO for materials, tying and fishing info.

Thanks for posting the improved sparkle dun. I rarely actually tie the comparaduns and tie the sparkle dun instead. Like the parachute flies, the sparkle dun is more often taken by the fish as a late stage emerger rather than the fully emerged dun.

Similarly, I will first try Craig Mathew's X-caddis during caddis hatches rather than the more popular EHC. Craig always seems to come up with great patterns.

Gary Borger's current book, "Fishing the Film" goes into detail on fishing the hatch. For the short version emerger patterns, read this FFM article on Film Flies. The second page details what stage the sparkle dun imitates:

"TStage 4. The adult crawls forward out of the immature skin and enters stage 4. The immature husk hangs nearly empty from the end of the adult, the wings are inflating, but still rumpled, and the adult body is parked on top of the surface.

At this point, the insect creates the largest surface footprint of the emergence process. The fish have no problem seeing the insect because it is totally in the film. This is the time for Sparkle Duns, Cross Dressers, or Sparkle Caddis Emergers. These flies nestle in the film, with the tail of sparkling fibers forming the empty husk."

Most folks that use the sparkle dun and comparadun will sometimes find that after a few fish, the fly becomes more effective. I think this is because the fly becomes bedraggled and is taken then for a stillborn.