+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I missing here ...?

Default What am I missing here ...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grizzly-Saddle-R...item256295df34

Over $80 for 32 saddle hackle feathers? And this isn't an anomaly; there have been quite a few auctions for saddle hackle that went for prices like these, with more up for bids now.
    I'm assuming no self-respecting tyer would 1) pay that for a few feathers, and 2) use those garish colors on a dry fly. So it must be the artsy-crafty folks who are doing the bidding.

I think I see a new career in my future. A $30 saddle and $4 worth of Kool-Aid powder and I'm in bidness.

It's the Bimbos using them for their costumes.

Blog Entries

Hair Extensions!!! Start selling, then you can buy those Jungle Cock Capes that you always wanted!!! This video says it all:

Apparently I'm not a self-respecting tyer... Because I have used hackles in a couple of those colors.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Self-respect can be a bit overrated anyway.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

Biggest brookie I ever hooked, and losted, took a cinnamon grannom tied with a grizzly-dyed-red hackle. By my count, I've used at least 3 of the 8 shown and plan to continue. If I used them for big streamers, I probably would use all of the colors shown, at some point.

Ed

Pretty soon tyers are gonna get arrested for run by feather snatches from peoples hair LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Pretty soon tyers are gonna get arrested for run by feather snatches from peoples hair LOL
    Thank you....I needed that laugh!!!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Quote Originally Posted by idlerick View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Grizzly-Saddle-R...item256295df34

Over $80 for 32 saddle hackle feathers? And this isn't an anomaly; there have been quite a few auctions for saddle hackle that went for prices like these, with more up for bids now.
    I'm assuming no self-respecting tyer would 1) pay that for a few feathers, and 2) use those garish colors on a dry fly. So it must be the artsy-crafty folks who are doing the bidding.

I think I see a new career in my future. A $30 saddle and $4 worth of Kool-Aid powder and I'm in bidness.
    I've got to disagree with your conclusion that fly tyers would never pay outrageous high prices for saddles and capes. When I became a serious fly tyer again, I had a lot of restocking to do and regularly watched eBay for bargains. I was particularly interesting in getting a good deal on large saddles such as the Whiting American Hackle for my freshwater bass (LMB, wioer, & striper) flies and my saltwater flies. I bought a lot of stuff from some really nice sellers, The Strait's in Pennsylvania, and managed to get some really nice capes and saddles at well below cost by just bidding up to my preset amount and walking away when the price rose a cent above my cutoff point. I also got very good at sniping (bidding a little above the highest bid on a bargain item a minute before the auction closed) But while I got good prices, I was constantly amazed at the prices the Straits got from fly tyers with names like "fly man, neck hackle, real cree, feather bender) on many items. These people were not the artsy-crafty crowd or hair dressers. Buyers routinely paid $10-$15 above catalog price and went even higher when the shipping charge was added in. In some bidding wars, materials were sold at $40 to $60 above their catalog value (plus the inevitable shipping charge). I kept a pretty good eye on eBay from 2001-2005 when my wife threatened to take away my computer if I kept buying stuff. 8T

BTW, I'm very sorry if I sniped anyone who is presently a member of FOAL. I was WardensWorry1 back in those days.
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 04-11-2011 at 12:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread