+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bamboo build

Hybrid View

Default bamboo build

Ok I know the last time I posted this it was beaten all to He!! but gonna try again. Looking to build a couple of rods from the blank up. Looking for a smallstream 3 wt on bamboo. I believe I posted and asked about personal experiences with the Hook and Hackle blanks. I now have heard of Anglers Roost blanks that are probably the same. Anyways, just want to get some feed back on these from personal use or experiences. Lets try and keep this civil. I know they are made overseas, cost less whatever. Looking for feedback not a made in the USA verbal war.

Thanks,
    Richard

I hope someone chimes in on this because if I remember right, someone on the board ordered one to build and was going to report! I think there was a hold up on items being shipped. I really would like one if it turns out well.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Blog Entries

The Angler's Roost blanks got a fair review over on rodbuildingforum.com. They are US made and are what they are, an inexpensive way to build bamboo. The tapers tend to run a tad thick, but are "close enough".

Another review can be found here... http://rodbuildersreview.blogspot.co...eview-and.html

One of the Bamboo builders on that board also ordered and built a rod on an Angler's Roost Presidential blank and gave it a fair review. As a commercial 'boo builder of some fantastic rods, he pointed out the good spots and bad. Very minor glue lines but generally well made. He also said that the finished rod casts nice. The Angler's Roost blanks will make a decent rod. It won't be presentation quality, but it will fish.

If I had a high end 'boo rod to build for someone, I would order a blank from this builder. For the average Joe that wants a nice 'boo rod he can enjoy and have fun with, I would order one of the Angler's Roost blanks in a heartbeat.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I have built and use the H&H bamboo kit 7' 4wt. I find it turned out very nice for the price and very fun to fish. My only concern is that it really insn't a 4wt. The firts time out I figured it just cast terribly. Then later realized my 4wt line just wasn't loading the rod. So I put a 5wt on it and find it is a very nice 5wt. It is a lot of fun for the panfish in the local park lakes. I would recommend the kit for a starter rod, but I have also seen the selection at Anglers Roost.

I myself may try that one as well. They have some very nice offerings there. But I have not dabbled in that area yet may come as soon as I finish the other 5 half built rods I have laying around!!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I am currently building on an Anglers Roost blank. Overall quality and finish is good, and it seems to cast well, although I have just test cast it with the guides taped on. The only issue I had with the blank is that it had Angler Roost Enterprises written on it. Not really so bad exept for the positioning of the name in relation to the size and taper, which were also written on the blank. I ended up sanding it off to maintain symetry.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Can you guys post some pictures of the rods that you have built. Also wondering if I want the Anglers Roost logo on the rod. I wouldnt plan on selling it but just wouldnt like the logo on it. My other concern would be the ferrules. How are the fit and finish of the ferrules close ups of the ferrules would be great too.

Thanks again,
    Richard

+ Reply to Thread