+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for all you Sage fly reel users....

Default Question for all you Sage fly reel users....

I need to know the "good and bad" of the Sage 1600 Series of fly reels. Looking for info on the 1650 fly reel. For those who own and use them or have owned and used them, please provide your honest thoughts whether negative or positive. It "looks" to be a nice large arbor reel and a good price on spare spools. Thinking about floating line on one spool and sinking line on another for smallmouth fishing and possibly using them for all my fly fishing whether cold water or warm water. For around $150 one could have a reel and spare spool, but, if the reel is not durable, then it would not be worth it. Need honest input here so let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

At the price, no bad that I can think of. I have an 1880 and have been using it for three years in fresh and saltwater. Same sealed drag as 1800 and 2000 series and similar to a couple of their more expensive reels. The only difference I can discern between the 1600 series and the 1800 series this that the latter has a more durable finish and comes with a neoprene reel case. The 1660 series reel finish may scratch up more easily (I dont know this for certain) but other than that I see no potential durability issues. I dont see it as an more vulnerable to being dropped or banged into things as any other reel of similar cost. The 2000 series changes to a machined spool and reel foot.

The drag is very smooth and strong plenty sufficient for smaller pelagic saltwater fish like bonito, small tunas, barracuda, as well as stripers and salmon, bonefish, baby tarpon etc.

Uses an O ring system instead of a mechanical latch to hold the spool on. The spool is on tight and I cannot foresee it coming off accidentally. The knurled drag knob is easy to grasp and adjust with wet, slimy, or cold hands.

The 1650/1850/2050 will hold a WF 8 line if you do not need much backing.

I think the 1600 series is one of the best fly reel values out there in terms of performance vs cost and may have the best drag of any reel I have encountered at that price point.

I won my 1880 in a raffle so I have had a privilege of extended usage without buying it (aside from the raffle tickets). I wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing another 1800 series reel, or a 1600 series reel. I have considered getting a couple of 1650 reels but I have plenty of other reels and dont need them.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 04-09-2011 at 04:45 PM.

tailingloop,

First, let me thank you for responding. After 65 Views and no response, I started thinking no one wanted to talk to me!

Your input was very helpful. Every description of the 1650 I have found just states it is made of solid alum. which leads me to thinking it may be a "stamped out" reel and not machined because most reel descriptions will state that it is machined. Since I am not in no big hurry to make this purchase, I may wait until I can actually see one and handle it at one of the local fly shops if they carry it. I really like the large arbor design and the price for the reel and spare spools. Like most fly fishermen/women, I am not trying to fill a "need" it is just a "want"! I have plenty of reels that work just fine, but, I really liked the looks of the 1600 series. I guess I will have to locate a shop that has one so I can see/feel it.

Thanks, again, for your very helpful response. It was appreciated....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I think the 1600 and 1800 series are cast and then cleaned up a bit similar to the Lamson Konic. There are marks on the inside of the frame that look like marks from a casting mold. The spool and frame are one piece. The foot is attached to the frame with two screws. The reel is very solid. I acutally like the color scheme of the 1600 reels better. Good luck with your search.

Warren,
    How can you possibly jump to the conclusion that nobody wants to talk to a nice guy like you? , Perhaps they're all like me who lose NO sleep over a fly reel. Unless you're fishing "bones in Belize", I can't see ANY reason for concern. I DEFY anyone to demonstrate the "benefits" of a $500 reel over my $25 in "normal" fishing scenarios. In other words, SAGE/SCHMAGE, it only holds and collects the line.

Mark

Marco,

A reply from you makes my day! How have you been? Long time, no see....

As far as the reel goes, I just want a large arbor and not pay a large price but still get a decent reel with a good drag for the smallmouth fishing I intend to do this summer and at $99 for the Sage 1650 and $40 for a spare spool, I thought maybe this would be the reel and was hoping someone on FAOL had one or have used one and could give some input.

Thanks for the post, it made me smile. You are one of the "good guys" in my book....
    Warren

+ Reply to Thread