+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader to tippet connection - loop to loop?

Hybrid View

Default Leader to tippet connection - loop to loop?

Most of my fly fishing is done in saltwater, but a couple of times a year I get to places where I can fish in cold freshwater. For years I have used the loop-to-loop connection for attaching tippet to leader in saltwater, with perfectly satisfactory results, but used a blood knot for the same connection in freshwater. As I get older it gets harder and harder to tie blood knots. Has anyone tried the loop-to-loop connection in freshwater? Does it reduce the number of takes? Does it make any difference whether it's used in cold or warm water?

Thanks for any advice.

I havn't tried loop to loop for attatching tippet, but a double surgeons knot does the trick and is ( for me ) a lot quicker and easier to tie than a blood knot.

I make and use Furled Leaders for all my fly fishing whether it be warm water or cold and my Furled Leaders have a Shorb Loop built-in both ends and I use a loop-to-loop connection for attaching the Furled Leader to the end of the fly line and a loop-to-loop for attaching the tippet to the tippet end of the Furled Leader and have had no problems. I usually start out with 5 to 6 feet of 6 pound test fluorocarbon for tippet and will use a double surgeons knot to attach around 3 feet of 4 pound test fluorocarbon to the end of the 6 pound test tippet for the smaller flies. My opinion is you should have no problems with using the loop-to-loop system.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I use the loop-to-loop method with no problems. I nail knot my butt section to the fly and make a perfection loop at the end. To that I attach my looped leader.
    Bruce

nighthawk Guest

I use the double surgeons knot too. Works great and doesn't seem to affect knot strength a great deal.

In addition to loop-to-loop, I also use the Orvis tippet knot. I find it's stronger than a double surgeon's knot.
    Randy

http://fishandflyonly.com/HOME/Hemos...dd_Knot_2.html
    This is a very quick and easy knot I use winter fishing in single digits with my bad eyes. With a little practice it ties in under ten seconds. It's very strong with no more bulk. It will also do a good job of connecting a pretty good size jump in line diameters. It's just as easy or easier to do just using your fingers. I also use the smallest Spro swivels to tie tippet to when I'm steelheading. . Just a few more options to try.

Charlie
    Last edited by bluefish; 04-07-2011 at 01:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread