+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader to tippet connection - loop to loop?

Default Leader to tippet connection - loop to loop?

Most of my fly fishing is done in saltwater, but a couple of times a year I get to places where I can fish in cold freshwater. For years I have used the loop-to-loop connection for attaching tippet to leader in saltwater, with perfectly satisfactory results, but used a blood knot for the same connection in freshwater. As I get older it gets harder and harder to tie blood knots. Has anyone tried the loop-to-loop connection in freshwater? Does it reduce the number of takes? Does it make any difference whether it's used in cold or warm water?

Thanks for any advice.

I havn't tried loop to loop for attatching tippet, but a double surgeons knot does the trick and is ( for me ) a lot quicker and easier to tie than a blood knot.

I make and use Furled Leaders for all my fly fishing whether it be warm water or cold and my Furled Leaders have a Shorb Loop built-in both ends and I use a loop-to-loop connection for attaching the Furled Leader to the end of the fly line and a loop-to-loop for attaching the tippet to the tippet end of the Furled Leader and have had no problems. I usually start out with 5 to 6 feet of 6 pound test fluorocarbon for tippet and will use a double surgeons knot to attach around 3 feet of 4 pound test fluorocarbon to the end of the 6 pound test tippet for the smaller flies. My opinion is you should have no problems with using the loop-to-loop system.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I use the loop-to-loop method with no problems. I nail knot my butt section to the fly and make a perfection loop at the end. To that I attach my looped leader.
    Bruce

http://fishandflyonly.com/HOME/Hemos...dd_Knot_2.html
    This is a very quick and easy knot I use winter fishing in single digits with my bad eyes. With a little practice it ties in under ten seconds. It's very strong with no more bulk. It will also do a good job of connecting a pretty good size jump in line diameters. It's just as easy or easier to do just using your fingers. I also use the smallest Spro swivels to tie tippet to when I'm steelheading. . Just a few more options to try.

Charlie
    Last edited by bluefish; 04-07-2011 at 01:26 PM.

nighthawk Guest

I use the double surgeons knot too. Works great and doesn't seem to affect knot strength a great deal.

In addition to loop-to-loop, I also use the Orvis tippet knot. I find it's stronger than a double surgeon's knot.
    Randy

The loop to loop will work fine, but if you are fishing where there are weeds or algae in the water, the loop to loop connections will get fouled up with gunk more that a double surgeon knot.

I'm with RandyFC. The loop-to-loop works OK, but the Orvis Tippet Knot (Google it) is a much stronger knot, and easier to tie. Especially good for tying FC tippet to nylon leaders.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread