+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jaguar guapote

Default Jaguar guapote

the bite is pretty good right now...seeing plenty of these guys ready to spawn...the big ones are fighting constantly and can be seen locked up mouth to mouth fighting for hrs...this one is typical but much larger ones also...beautiful fish with bold purple and black markings...aggressive suction mouth feeder

Blog Entries

Going to have to google these. I'll admit to not being up my exotics but I'd never even heard of them. Beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing..
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

trying to put a handle on it myself but I always see fish I cant identify...still dont know what several are...once I was watching Larry Dalberg fishing in Columbia and he caught one...he said the locals prefer them over peacock bass to eat...other than that I havent heard of them either but they are certaily here

In the aquarium trade, they are called Jaguar Cichlids or Managuense Cichlids.
    Good parents! When I fished with Cordell, he spotted a pair. I couldn't get them to hit my flies, but the pair followed their brood around...the fry were close to shore or vegetation, usually, and the parents would stay parallel to them in slightly deeper water. The male was bigger than the female and had better markings.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

That is a cool-lookin' fish! It looks like they'd pull pretty good, too.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Looks like a pumpkin seed on steroids! Crazy looking fish - thanks for sharing!!!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

I so need to take a trip to south FL. Cichlids would be be fun to catch. From working in the aquarium trade for a while. The guys you caught have a ton of attitude.

What an interesting fish! Very cool. Thanks.

Charlie

+ Reply to Thread