Sport fishing column for April 4 to 11, 2011

Rain, Rain, Rain, it has been continuous this year. While a day or two or even a week of rain can be boost to fishing in summer; during the rest of the year it brings things to a grinding halt.

Many seasoned anglers know that fish go off the bite when the barometer starts falling and maintains a low reading. Those who understand meteorology (the scientific study of the atmosphere) recognize these readings on a barometer as the onset and continuation of a low pressure weather system. While we may see and recognize the changes in atmospheric pressure, it is not the weather or atmosphere that cause the change in fish feeding behavior. The change is caused by any imbalance of positive ions (electrically charged atoms), that are normally absorbed by all living things during high pressure periods.

Did that help? If you have an inquisitive mind, you would most likely say yes. For the rest of us, it comes down to this. Fish, wildlife and people tend to be sluggish and negative during extended times of rainy weather. So here is my tip of the week. If you want a good gauge for determining how successful a fishing trip will be, look at yourself and ask. How do I feel? Do I want to go out there and fish, or would I rather read a book by the fire? Do I feel enthusiastic, or do I feel dragged out? As I tell my students; if you like the weather, the fish most likely do too. If you don't like the weather, it is a good bet the fish don't either.

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is a wash out; if we get the predicted sun on the weekend, it should be good. Late mornings through mid afternoons are best. Try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Big Black, Woolly Bugger, Micro Leach, Sixpack, Dragonfly Nymph, Halfback, Doc Spratley, Baggy shrimp, or Zulu.

The Fraser River and soughs are good for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Eggo, Tied Down Minnow, Epoxy Minnow, Flesh Fly, Professor, Lioness, Coachman, Zulu, Chez Nymph. For dolly Varden try: Large (#4 to #1) Eggo, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Epoxy Minnow, Big Black, Muddler, or Zonker.

The Vedder River fair to good for steelhead, dolly varden and rainbow. For steelhead try: big Black, Popsicle, Steelhead Nightmare, Polar shrimp, GP, Thor, Squamish Poacher, Kaufmann Stone, Purple Peril, or Eggo. For rainbow try: Rolled Muddler, Eggo, Flesh Fly, Kaufmann Black Stone, Zulu, Chez Nymph, Big Black, or Renegade.

The Stave River is good for rainbow and cutthroat.

The Harrison River is fair to good for cutthroat, and rainbow.

Don't miss the Outdoor Life Styles and Adventure Show, coming to Maple Ridge, at the end of the month.

You can find more at "The Reel Life Press" by Jeff Weltz