+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White Wolf

Default White Wolf

I am looking for a pattern called the White Wolf. It is popular in parts of Wisconsin.

Would that be different than Lee Wulff's white wulff. Same tie as a royal wulff 'cept all white.

The one I saw had either black or peacock behind the head.

White Wulff has silver badger for the hackle.

Hi Fly.tier,

Randall Kaufmann's book, "Fly Patterns of the Umpqua Feather Merchants" has the White Wulff pattern like this:

Hook: Dry Fly, 8-16
    Thread: White 6/0
    Wing: White calf
    Tail: White calf
    Body: White dubbing or yarn
    Hackle: Badger

(I changed the hook from "TMC 100", to "dry fly")

Regards,

Gandolf

I would like to thank everyone for the information, picture,and pattern. This is such a great bunch.

fly.tyer/chewydog,

Very nice tie chewydog!. My favorite wulff is the Ausable Wulff developed by Fran Betters of Wilmington, N.Y., along the river of the same name - W. Branch of the Ausable.

Best regards, Dave S.

Not my tie. I "borrowed" it from the orvis site. I just wanted to clarify if a wolf was a wulff...

Potamanthus myops and vertices. I looked into the possibility that Wolf and Wulff had been confusing the pattern and still think that there is a "White Wolf" out there somewhere. I really shouldn't be commenting on Wisconsin fly fishing as I've never even been there and fished but I didn't want to let this go. There are others on the board from the state that can answer the question with more incite than I.

The White Wolf fly that you have brought up might be specific to a hatch on the Wolf River. I found this and more info which leads me to think you should look into this a little further: http://www.flyfishingwis.com/html/wolf_river.html .Call up one of the shops in the area. If it's a hatch that spreads a pretty good rumor than you'll be better off if you know exactly when the hatch occurs and what size fly you need. Not saying the White Wulff won't do it, but you did point out and name "White Wolf".

I'll butt out now and go back to thoughts of my own front range.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

I also think the White Wolf might refer to a specific pattern for the Wolf River. I've met the three tiers mentioned in the Wolf River Article and they had specific patterns for that river. Gary Borger wrote an article on those fly tiers but I can't recall where it was published. Both Cap Beutner and Eddie Haaga lived on the Wolf. Eddie took over tying after Cap could no longer tie. After Eddie passed, Bob Telasek bought Eddie's place. Bob was from Milwaukee if I remember correctly. The Wolf is one of Wisconsin's Wild Rivers, not having a dam on it until the lower reaches of the river.

An article on Ed Haaga's Adams Hairwing by Ross Mueller here:

http://www.foxvalleytu.org/Jan_2011_Trout_Talk.pdf

John Nebel writes about the Wolf River Trio here:

http://www.foxvalleytu.org/February_2011_Trout_Talk.pdf

The White Wolff could very well be a cream version of the Adams Hairwing tied with bleached blond deer or elk hair and cream hackle.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread