+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Craig,CO?

Question Craig,CO?

OK folks,
    I'm headed to Craig for a few weeks and I need to know if I should take my Fly Fishing gear along and where should I go?? I'll be there starting this coming Monday the 4th.

Just miles of Yampa river thats full of Pike and Trout. The Yampa at Steamboat that you can fish right in town. Take the rod or you will be sorry.

A little bit farther, a day trip, the Green River, both above the town of Green River and below Flaming Gorge damn are open and fishable.
    I'm in the book, No Luck, give me a call while you are in Craig, Maybe we can at least have coffee.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Thanks for the advice guys. Its kinda crazy here right now. My work truck broke down on the way here. I rode in with a co-worker. Hopefully I'll get my dually back by the end of the week and then Sunday I can get out prowling around. I hit a local Mexican restaurant tonite here and it was pretty darn good. Byron maybe when it settles down I can get in touch and have a cup of hot chocolate...LOL. I had to give up tea and coffee. Pulling the 20,0000lb trailer across 40 killed my tranny and the guy trying to tow it here from close to Black hawk tore his out of his tow truck too. Now you know why they call me NoLuck....LOL

Well I finally got a day off and headed up to Steamboat to look at the Upper Yampa and look at the fly shops there. The river was up and really murky and flowing. The fly shops were closed I guess because of the season and conditions. I guess it's just a bad time of year to fly fish around here. I will be here for another couple of weeks still and maybe I'll head the other way if I get a chance.
    Oh....the weather around these parts is downright wacky. LOL

When runoff starts, which could be any day that it gets warm, you need to head for a lake or high tributary or tailwater. That gives you Stagecoach Res., Stillwater lake, the bear river, Rock Creek, and I can't think of any tailwaters except below Stagecoach. It's all pretty iffy in a Colorado spring, and Craig is a pretty good drive from all these places(southish of Steamboat), but there might be some small streams around Craig - check at the hardware store, they usually take the place of fly shops in small towns. Oh, and call the Steamboat fly shops, they usually open sometime, maybe just weekends.

No Luck, this is kind of off topic but I have to throw it in. I've fished at Craig, Alaska, Craig, Montana and Craig, Idaho. If Craig, Colorado is anything like those places you should catch fish. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread