+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Va Fly Fishing Festival

Hi Dotman;
    It's true that the weather has been better in the past but, it is April and weather events such as this happen all the time. What I found disapointing is their did not seem to be any forethought put in to how to deal with it, everyone knew what was coming perhaps it came a little earlier than expected but still organizers knew it waas coming. Not having alternatives planned for high water was at least naive if not negligent. Many things could have been done to counter the weather, sand bags, pallets, running the electricty overhead with redundant GFCI protection, etc. They had the main road/bridge blocked off, they could have set the tents up there and kept everything high and dry.

Knowing the organizers occupation and training as a firefighter, it suprises me that weather was not taken into account and steps taken to counter some of the more problematic issues.

Wayneb

Quote Originally Posted by Dot Man View Post
    It is unfortunate that mother nature blew in some terrible storms and runied the day for ya'll and the show itself. I hope Sunday does bring a good crowd because it is not the show organizer's fault it poured and blew hard. Just remember that past shows have had good weather, good crowds and good fun.

Dot
    Yep! We've had some good times at that show, haven't we, Jerry? we always have next year!
    I'll be talking to you soon. An Ohio 'gill trip needs to be planned.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Wayne,
    My bet is that this year may just have taught some lessons in "alternative" planning. The time of year DOES carry unpredictable, and often harsh, weather patterns.
    The outside show is fantastic, but weather, obviously, can throw a real "monkey wrench" into things.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Well it's a beautiful sunny day in the sixeties so, would imagine it will be busy there today

Hi All;

Did anyone attend on Sunday? If so, how were the conditions?

Wayneb

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    Hi All;

Did anyone attend on Sunday? If so, how were the conditions?

Wayneb
    I was able to make it today, and it was not crowded.

Windy, sunny and chilly, nice by late afternoon. The river was raging, although not as high as it was, according to the Nucanoe rep. You would need a split shot the size of a canonball today.

I took advantage of the lack of crowds and was able to test drive the TFO LVK in 4,5,6 wt and the TFO Clouser in a 7 wt. Fun to cast these nice sticks. The LVK is a smooth rod, not nearly as "fast" as i expected, maybe med-fast. I asked the rep about cork repairs (see Warren's post earlier) and he recommended wood putty, just as the FAOL members did.

Saw lefty at the casting pod for a few minutes, He started at 9:45 and Bob Clouser had a smallie talk at 10.

Clouser's talk was great, standing room only. He also talked about carp fishing, recommending the foxie clouser in size 4 and 6.

I also was able to attend Clousers' casting class; very worthwhile. Mrs. Clouser had me throwing tight loops and Bob had me double hauling; this too shall pass.
    We all got a lot of individual attention for 2.5 hours. Well worth it if you get the chance.

I talked to my local fly shop guy who was a vendor and told me they had 12" of water flowing THOUGH the big tent by 4pm yesterday, and how they had to scramble to save their inventory.

Maybe the organizational skills of the managers of this thing may not have kept up with the popularity of the event. It is supposedly the largest in the country (?). The casting class was moved to the YMCA, and even though I was told it was only 300 yards from the festival site, it was at least 1 mile plus. A few walked (not happy and late) and some never made it... Fortunately, I decided to drive and leave after and was able to give some fellow FF a ride back. I'm sure this thing is done on a shoestring, and, to be fair, we had one of the worst storms I have seen Saturday and I have lived here 23 years. It was actually worse around the festival site, with a rare confirmed tornado a few miles away. Also, to be fair, if I bought a ticket Saturday I would be PO'd.

Did not spot a single FAOL hat. If you were there, sorry I missed you.

Found a very nice Viognier at the tasting. Also, good music.

Next year lets hope for better weather and maybe we can do a better job of getting together.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Hello Wayne,

You make some good points and as Mike said let this be a learning experience. I feel bad for the vendors who put in the time and expense as well as for the show organizer. They had a much tougher and longer day in the misery. They had not much of a choice about showing up, whereas attendees had the option to go or not on such a bad day. I can understand your frustrations, I would have been too; but knowing I made the decision to go is what I live with, good or bad.
    Hopefully the tents were full today and down the road we all will enjoy future shows.

Jerry
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Ditto to what Pillcaster and others stated. Good report by him on conditions and lack of crowd today.
    I watched Lefty also. Then went to a class given by Walt Cary on making popping bugs . Very informative. Can't wait to get started doing that.
    Next year will be here before we know it.

George

This much I can tell y'all...there weren't any MOVING water alternatives yesterday (or today). EVERYTHING was badly, badly blown out by yesterday afternoon or earlier. In fact, I was fishing yesterday morning on a favorite SNP stream which became unfishable, scary and dangerous VERY quickly. With over 3 inches of rain falling across the area on saturated soil and bare rock (over 5 inches @ Devil's Knob not far south of Waynesboro), it was inevitable. As for the event, can't comment. Didn't attend and likely would have wondered the same things as the rest of you.

Kudos to the weather folks who accurately called it. Should have had a fallback plan for the tent - what a disaster.

+ Reply to Thread