+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon anchor systems

Default Pontoon anchor systems

Hi All,

I have been scouring the internet looking for an anchor system for my creek co odc sport pontoon boat. The one that I found is out of order indefinitely, so I was wondering if anyone who has a homemade anchor system might be willing to post a few pictures of it for me so I can get a good idea of what it might entail for me to build my own.
    I'm really wanting to float a few rivers this year and would dearly love to have some sort of anchor system to use when I need it.

Thanks,

TT.

The anchor system that came on my daughters pontoon boat seemed to bind some and the drag chains was hard to pull up, so I modified it myself. After the modification it worked perfectly and pulled up smoothly.
    I went to the hardware store and bought small pulleys that would fit the diameter rope we were using. I bought a couple pulleys that were fixed and a couple that would swivel, and the appropriate sized stainless bolts and lock nuts.

Photo's attached below for visual aide:

Hope this helps you some.
    Mark 1:17

I have also been looking for an anchor. What I have decided on was about five lbs of logging chain.

Darrin,

Thank you sooooo much, just seeing that has given me a plethora of ideas already. I really appreciate you taking the time to post those.

TT.

You are welcome!
    Mark 1:17

Last edited by fcch; 04-05-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Christopher Chin

Thanks Chris! A few more good ideas. I really like how you attached the pulley to the eye bolt, probably wouldn't have thought of that, lol.

TT.

I do not have any specifc anchor system designs for you, but would like to suggest a few important thoughts:
    An anchor is a great safety device and also a great hazard. Make sure that the anchor cannot be inadvertently released when going through a rapids or down a slide. A good system is one that pulls the anchor completely out of the water when up so it cannot catch on anything in the water. Also, never tie the anchor line end to the boat. It is better that the anchor and line are lost versus pulling your craft under the water.

Best anchor design depends on the river bottom. Small, compact Pyramid Anchors work very well on river bottoms of smaller rocks and gravel. Big rocks on the river bottom can eat Pyramids that can not be unstuck. Spike Anchors work best where the river bottom has bigger or irregular rocks. Links to my home made Spike are-- http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...n/IMGP0293.jpg and http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...n/IMGP0294.jpg

I use both a Pyramid or a Spike---depending on the stream.
    Max

Max,

Thanks for the links. Having had some experience in rivers, I am aware that the end should never be secured to the boat. I've rigged something up, but haven't had the chance to use my toon yet to see how well it'll work. I'm hoping to be able to take it out this next weekend to see how it'll do in a reserviour before I put in on a river. The fishing on the Missouri is supposed to be getting pretty good, so I imagine I'll be headed down that way in the next few weeks to put it to a real test.

TT.

Speaking of the MO---I usually use a Spike Anchor when putting in just below Holter Dam. Some big, deep rocks in the first half mile to gobble up a Pyramid.

When putting in at Wolf Creek Bridge or below I go with the Pyramid.

I really prefer the Pyramid when the river bottom permits because it is compact, easier to handle, and actually holds a little better.
    Max

+ Reply to Thread