+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon anchor systems

Hybrid View

Default Pontoon anchor systems

Hi All,

I have been scouring the internet looking for an anchor system for my creek co odc sport pontoon boat. The one that I found is out of order indefinitely, so I was wondering if anyone who has a homemade anchor system might be willing to post a few pictures of it for me so I can get a good idea of what it might entail for me to build my own.
    I'm really wanting to float a few rivers this year and would dearly love to have some sort of anchor system to use when I need it.

Thanks,

TT.

The anchor system that came on my daughters pontoon boat seemed to bind some and the drag chains was hard to pull up, so I modified it myself. After the modification it worked perfectly and pulled up smoothly.
    I went to the hardware store and bought small pulleys that would fit the diameter rope we were using. I bought a couple pulleys that were fixed and a couple that would swivel, and the appropriate sized stainless bolts and lock nuts.

Photo's attached below for visual aide:

Hope this helps you some.
    Mark 1:17

I have also been looking for an anchor. What I have decided on was about five lbs of logging chain.

Darrin,

Thank you sooooo much, just seeing that has given me a plethora of ideas already. I really appreciate you taking the time to post those.

TT.

You are welcome!

Last edited by fcch; 04-05-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

I only use my pontoon boat on lakes, I figure the rivers are for drift boats and rigid framed rafts. I have two mushroom style lead anchors, each attached to 30 feet of parachute cord. I have tied loops in the cord every 5 feet. On my pontoon boat, I have clipped two small spring loaded carabineers. I release one of my anchors at a 45 degree angle to the rear and when it hits bottom I slide the boat over in the other direction, then release the other anchor. I place the boat in the center of the two anchors and clip the nearest loop onto the carabineers. Works like a champ and really holds even in the very stron eastern WA winds.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Thanks for this Idea Larry.

I'm going to try it out this summer. I too only toon in lakes and your idea is perfect. Two anchors is definately the way to go. Keeps you always facing the same direction. It can be a bit of a pain when the fish wraps itself around the line once in a while but I guess I just have to live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    I only use my pontoon boat on lakes, I figure the rivers are for drift boats and rigid framed rafts. I have two mushroom style lead anchors, each attached to 30 feet of parachute cord. I have tied loops in the cord every 5 feet. On my pontoon boat, I have clipped two small spring loaded carabineers. I release one of my anchors at a 45 degree angle to the rear and when it hits bottom I slide the boat over in the other direction, then release the other anchor. I place the boat in the center of the two anchors and clip the nearest loop onto the carabineers. Works like a champ and really holds even in the very stron eastern WA winds.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

If you fish rivers with current, you should give a drag chain a try.
    I've been floating rivers for years now and have tried about every type anchor I can think of. I now only use drag chains for rivers. I've lost river anchors, mushroom anchors and spike-type anchors that became hopelessly wedged and stuck in rock crevices. Having to reach as far down as possible and cut your anchor rope and have to finish your float trip, being unable to stop and fish good runs, is a major let-down. I routinely fish some high-gradient rivers with current in between rapids, and the river bottoms are more like boulder gardens, and I've yet to get a drag chain setup stuck that I could not get loose and continue my trip. Plus, depending on the depth, I can let just enough anchor rope out that the chains are barely touching bottom and it slows my drift to the point I can control my speed going downriver. Of course never drop the chains in rapids or too-fast water! I personally know a guy who had a spike-type anchor puncture one of his tubes. He had a little too much rope out the back of his boat and he dropped over a ledge and the anchor started swinging until it made contact with his tube and popped it! Not good news when you're on a full-day float trip and you're only 1/2 way through. Personally, I would avoid an anchor with sharp spikes or bolts protruding from it. Not a good combination with inflatable boats. Just my $0.02.
    Larry, there are several manufacturers that make high-quality, whitewater rated and worthy pontoon boats. They are not just for still waters anymore. The WW rated boats are generally not cheap, but if you like float-fishing rivers, there are boats out there that are very river-worthy...as worthy of the river as any framed raft or drift boat.
    Last edited by DarrinG; 05-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.

I'd be inclined to heed Darrin's advise. I have fished with the man and he knows pontoons like few others.

Darrin! Maybe the FB will get right in a week or 2. We got to go! Looking forward to it.

Heck, we might even let Clay join us in his new Coosa! Bet he turtles in less than an hour. I know, I am one mean individual.

+ Reply to Thread