+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day....

Default Opening Day....

So you think opening day is bad in your part of the world?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tc6y...eature=related

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Just think if you were "the guy" that showed up for this with a fly rod?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Holy Moly. That one guy didn't have a license.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    Holy Moly. That one guy didn't have a license.
    I gotta say that was the best laugh i have had all day...
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

...and the richest villager of all says....
    "Longaberger Baskets thanks you all, my friends!"
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

nighthawk Guest

Now behold opening day on Saturday here in South East Penns Woods!

It's so nice to fish in states that have eschewed the outdated concept of 'opening day'.....no closed seasons so no crowds thinking that being there 'first' will mean better fishing....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    It's so nice to fish in states that have eschewed the outdated concept of 'opening day'.....no closed seasons so no crowds thinking that being there 'first' will mean better fishing....

Buddy

I guess there are more ways to look at this. Here in Washington there are two seperate spring openers for lakes. One on the east side of the state and one called the low land lakes opener mainly for the west side. For a lot of people these openings have become tradition with many family outings planned around them. For instance I have purchased my grand daughter a nice new pink fly rod and on opening day we have planned her first ever fly fishing trip. She is five. A few years ago it was her first ever fishing trip with grandpa on opening day. This is becoming a small family outing where everyone including grandma goes fishing. In the past it was only me and a time or two one of the boys. They used to go with me when younger. I have been reminded many times by my grand daughter that we are supposed to go fishing and next weekend we get my 12 foot aluminum boat ready by cleaning it and putting on a new coat of paint. That should be hoot to do with her. We have already tried on and purchased new PFDs for the grand kids. Which was another outing that turned into a family affair with most of the family heading to the outdoor store once they found out where myself and the grand kids were going.

Opening day can be what you make it. At my house it is turning into a spring outing that the entire family is getting involved with. Cool.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

No opening or closing day here for anything....thank God! But our licenses go from March to March...huh? Buy one in January and it expires in March. How stupid id that! Who's gonna buy a license after November? Gotta be a huge loss of revenue but that's "government thinking" for you.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 04-01-2011 at 05:02 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post

Buddy
    Holy Crap that looks just like Borough Park in New Cumberland tomorrow morning at 8!!

here in Pennsylvania it's largely put-and-take fishing, tradition, and people usually try to have a good time. Pre-season stocking is a big deal, so "opening day" usually means even small children and morons can usually get the thrill of a few trout on the line. There are lots of special regulations areas which are "open" all year. Last year after my son caught a few trout a couple miles up the YB, we went down the park in New Cumberland and it was like a circus... Just like steelhead fishing in Erie and just like salmon fishing in Erie was in the 80's... shoulder-to-shoulder, we couldn't have tried to fish there even IF we wanted to--- HUNDREDS of people. An awful lot of those folks probably only fish that one day, maybe a couple days a year. So, yeah, I'll be standing on the bank with my son somewhere in the cold tomorrow morning, with a Thermos of hot chocolate, his rod rigged with a niblet of powerbait, waiting for 0800, and hopefully again this year he'll catch the first trout of anyone in the crowd- people cheer and clap and laugh. Of course the crowds are a pain in the a$$ but there's a lot more to it.

It's perhaps the ONLY one of Pa's outdated archaic laws that people still enjoy.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 04-01-2011 at 04:14 PM.

+ Reply to Thread