+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod weight and flies for panfish?

Default Rod weight and flies for panfish?

Just a poll to see what rod weight most use for all panfish(bream,crappie,white bass)and the size flies you use with the rod.I have been using a four for some time mostly with beadhead nymphs in a size 10-16 and poppers to a size 10,small clousers in a size 10 for crappie and white bass.As you see in the for sale forum i have a five weight setup that i was going to try with flies to a size 6 but i simply have too much right now to use and i have to make a decision as to keep it and line it up or buy another 4 and look to sell the outfit later,i have been eyeing that sage vt2 7'9" 4 weight on sale nearly everywhere but am not sure of the action of that rod,i prefer a med-fast to fast rod.

Hello Thomas,
    When I panfish I generally use my 8 1/2 ft 4 wt or my 7 ft 3wt.The deciding factor is how strong the wind is blowing and whether or not the area has heavy weed/aquatic vegetation.
    regards,
    Gerri

I use rods 2 through 5 weight depending on how much wind there is and how snaggy is the water. I prefer to go with a nine or ten foot rod.
    As far as hook size for gills 8 - 14 and for crappie 2 to 14.

Tim

2-5wt rods. My go-to setup is a 7'6" 3-wt. I fish size 8 to 12 for gills and 4 to 12 for crappie and whites. White bass and crappie will eat stuff bigger than size 4, and I wouldn't hesitate throwing bigger stuff at them at all!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

My fave for pans is my 8ft 3wt, but I always drag my beloved 9ft 5wt with me everywhere too. I fish either depending on water, wind, etc. Though I have an extra spool with full sink on it for my 5wt and that makes switching out easier too.

Blog Entries

I generally use a 5 or 6-weight rod, I generally use size 8-12 flies. I don't usually go smaller than size 12 in an effort to keep 'gills from swallowing them completely.

Ed

I have Superfine 3wt and 4wt rods, but recently got a Hexagraph 6'-6" 2wt, and it is really nice. Action similar to a full flex Superfine, but slightly slower. Lots of power, and will throw a #8 (have not tried bigger) wooley with authority. Also has the backbone to pull an 18" bow out of Taneycomo (obviously not exactly the normal rod to fish Taneycomo) but had to try it.

Reason mainly for the post as i don't get as much free time now with my 3 year old daughter,i pulled out my issues of flyfisherman magizine and was reading the article on big bull gills and the author stated his friends used 2,3 weights but he felt these rods were for minisual bream and he used a 6-7 weight for the flies he used!i would have always said that i felt a six weight was for smallies and a eight for bass.I have always had the rule,8 weight heavy action,7 med-hvy,6 med,5 med-light,4 light and 3 weight ultralite.As you can see i am judging these in relation to conventional tackle rods so to speak,rods 2 weight and under i feel are more intended to small streams for trout rather than warmwater panfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Just a poll to see what rod weight most use for all panfish(bream,crappie,white bass) ...
    Here's an older thread you might enjoy looking through:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ll-and-Crappie

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    ... i pulled out my issues of flyfisherman magizine and was reading the article on big bull gills and the author stated his friends used 2,3 weights but he felt these rods were for minisual bream and he used a 6-7 weight for the flies he used.
    I just happened to read that same article a couple of nights ago. He had also narrowed his flies down to one (pretty much.) It was a sinking fly similar to a girdle bug.

To get a better fight from the fish, I go with a longer rod rather than a lighter rod.

+ Reply to Thread