+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphite fly reels

Default Graphite fly reels

So I own a couple (Redinton Crosswater 5wt and 8wt) but I would like to know from you experts what would be the advantage of these. They look ok but I'm not sure if they're very durable. My crosswater setup came with one but I've been thinking about getting another type.
    Thanks in advance.
    Martin
    I believe I can fly fish

Here's a review I found on here about them, hope this helps. (form Steve McG)

http://flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/crosswater.php
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

He speaks highly of the crosswater rods but nothing about the reels. Thanks for sharing tho, glad to read i purchased a nice fly rod.
    I believe I can fly fish

i personally think people spend too much on fly reels for fresh water fishing. I have older large arbor scientific angler's "graphite" reels with disc dragson multiple rods for years without a hitch. i have caught redfish, bonefish and a host of fresh water fish and they work fine.
    I know there are "reel" guys who like their hardware. I say to each his own.
    Last edited by okflyfisher; 03-31-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Not familiar with the reels but if they are metal on the wear points (arbor, arbor bushing, and pawl) they should last for many years. As with all composites, the elastomers in the resin will eventually leach out and they will embrittle, but we are talking decades here so not to worry. After all, they make rods out of graphite composites.

There may be some who will claim they are too light for "balance" but that is a personal preference thing and has no merit in physics.

I happen to be one of those "reel" guys who like their hardware. But that is just me. There is no practical reason for it. I just like the sound and feel of a precision machined piece of alloy.

Bob

i've owned 2 graphite reels, 1 cabela's the other was/is the crosswater. the cabelas fell apart and the crosswater rubs spool on frame. it was great for about 2-3 years for steelies but eventually could not hold up to the pressure. i will and have spend the money to get something that will last and get passed along to my heirs. my current favorite reels are the lamson velocity, the gurus should be just as good and will probably be my next purchase. i also like the orvis battenkill and BBS and BLA very much for their value.

Martin, those graphite composite reels should be very durable. For the most part these types of reels hold up very well. In every example I have seen where such a reel broke in the frame or the spool the reel had been dropped and bounced a bit. Even very pricey aluminum reels can be damaged this way. Most broken composite reels that I have seen have failed in a metal component. A couple of years ago there was one particular composite reel on the market that had a week reel foot but it did not stay on the market long. The primary advantage of these types of reels is cost of production. Also, in some cases they are lighter.

I have one that came on a St Croix Pro Graphite combo some years ago. Still have the reel and use if for blue gills and such.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have a graphite reel that came with my first rod. Hooked into a steelhead with it and it completely blew out the reel, and now it freespools in both directions and the frame is warped. (I *did* land the fish, however. )

That reel is officially useless at this point, and it left a bad taste in my mouth toward all graphite reels.

That said, my buddy has a crosswater setup and it does seem that the crosswater reel is of a much higher quality than the one I had. If you aren't catching anything that is gonna burn up your drag, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rizeye View Post
    i've owned 2 graphite reels, 1 cabela's the other was/is the crosswater. the cabelas fell apart and the crosswater rubs spool on frame. it was great for about 2-3 years for steelies but eventually could not hold up to the pressure. i will and have spend the money to get something that will last and get passed along to my heirs. my current favorite reels are the lamson velocity, the gurus should be just as good and will probably be my next purchase. i also like the orvis battenkill and BBS and BLA very much for their value.
    I think you nailed it there, the spool rubbing on the frame gets on my nerves. You don't even have to apply a lotta pressure in order for that to happen. I upgraded from my 8wt crosswater to a Lamson Konic and I love it so far, very solid reel and sealed drag.
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread