+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zap A Gap, Super Glue, or Gorilla Glue

Hybrid View

Default Zap A Gap, Super Glue, or Gorilla Glue

I was curious if anyone here uses any of these (Zap A Gap, Super Glue, or Gorilla Glue) instead of traditional head cement. If so which do you prefer?
    Its not what your fly is, but what your fly does!

I would be extremely leery of using Gorilla Glue on a fly; pretty tough to control the expansion during the curing process. I save the other 2 for different applications; Sally Hansen's is cheap and does the job for me.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Sally Hansen's also provides a hard shine to finish off the fly head properly

I have seen some flies where I think superglue was used for head cement. It did not penetrate the thread but left a whitish lump on top of the head.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

A few years ago at a show I was attending, Chris Helm turned me onto a head cement. Fly-Tite. by Fly-Rite, Inc, 7421 South Beyer Rd. Frankenmuth, MI 48734. phone # 989-652-9869. All other head cements I have used in the past eventually solidify in my applicator. Clog up the fine hole and or need a thinner of some kind. This stuff does not cause me any problems at all. Never have I needed to add a solvent. He also put me onto a cyanoacrylate ester (super glue) that dries in 4 seconds. It is produced by Carlson Tackle Co. Called FISHIN' GLUE" I use this when I want something glued quickly and where I do not want to wait. Has a funnel shaped snout on it and has a small brush. I snip off one half of the bristles on the brush which is attached in the lid. Never in several years of use have I experienced any problems with either of these.
    If I am tying a fly that I think the head needs to be shinney, I might use the Sally Hansen's. All other products on the market do not compare for me today. I tie a lot of flies per year.
    For anyone that wants more info on either of these two products, e-mail me. I do not sell them, just a more than satisfied customer.

Denny
    Denny

Gorilla glue is not what you want anywhere near flies! It expands like crazy. I use Sally Hansen's clear nail polish for head cement and gluing down bead chain eyes.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

You can use Gorilla Glue for making ant bodies but never for head cement, Super Glue and Zap-a-Gap to cement stuff like foam to the hook to prevent it from spinning. I would never use any of them as head cement. Nor would I use Hard-as-nails unless thinned as head cement, I think it's just too thick straight from the bottle as sold.

I am sure he is talking about Gorilla Glues super glue. I have some and hate it so dont waste your money. I using Liquid Fusion now and really like this. Found it at Hobby Lobby.

I've been using super glue for 20 years.
    In the mid 1980s I even made a disorganized and ill-fated attempt to wholesale CA glue as "Sandy's Superfly"

Montana Tier Dan Delekta uses little green bottles of Crazy Glue (a brand of CA) for everything.

I use ZapCA the most. ZapCA is watery-thin, so it soaks in, all the way to the shank.
    The trick is to dispense it properly, with accurately placed pin point micro dots of glue.
    I use TEFLON tubing and a hot melt glue gun to turn each new glue bottle into a "wash bottle."

A wash bottle means the teflon tubing is inserted into the top of the bottle, and shoved all the
    way down to the bottom of the bottle. Then caulked in place with hot melt glue.
    You don not tip the bottle to dispense the glue. You squeeze the bottle. You can watch
    the glue migrate up the tube, and then release pressure just as the glue gets to the tip.
    That way you can dispense tiny (or large) amounts, right where you want it.

When you let go of the bottle the glue is sucked down into the bottle again, leaving
    the tubing clear. If the tubing ever does clog up, it ALWAYS clogs at tube tip.
    So you just snip 1/32" off the top of the tube and you are back in business again.

Getting teflon tubing is a bit tricky. I used to buy it online from Action Electronics.
    But they went belly up a few months ago. I'm sure there are other sources.

I bought 100' rolls, so I won't need more until several lifetimes from now.

28 - 30 guage for ZapCA

16 - 20 guage for the thicker ZapAGap

http://montana-riverboats.com/index....CA-glue-step-3
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 03-31-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Loctite makes a super glue that comes in a bottle that has a base and the actual container is slanted. It's got a brush like a finger nail polish bottle...great stuff. Goes on easy, soaks in fast, bottle doesn't clog up. Walmart used to carry it, I think K-mart still does. I've got 3 bottles so shouldn't ever have to buy another.

+ Reply to Thread