+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reel decision

Default Reel decision

I have decided to upgrade the reel for my 9wt. Choice has been narrowed down between the Lamson Konic 4 and the new Orvis Access Mid Arbor V. Both are within my price range and both have more than enough backing capacity. I am a big Orvis fan but yesterday I went to Lamson's website and watched their video about their reels and especially their drag system. I was very impressed that they use the same drag system in all their reels no matter what the price point. The Orvis is machined and the Lamson is pressure injected. Lamson is about $20 cheaper. I really don't think I could go wrong with either one.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If you keep reels for more than a few years then your going to be better off going with the ones who actually build what they sell.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

IMHO, Orvis reels do not stand up to saltwater as well as some other brands. I use Billy Pate reels and they stand up to anything. They are not fancy but they last forever and Tibor's service department is second to none. If you are worried about the price, shop ebay for a deal. The BP Bonefish reel should fit your needs. If you do not want a Pate or Tibor, then be sure that whatever you buy is machined and not cast or injected. Also, reels that tout one way clutch bearings are not at the top of my list. Those bearings are usually the first thing to give problems in a saltwater envoronment. Like Capt. Darby stated, you are better off with a reel that is actually built by the company that is selling it.

I am familiar with both reels and like both. Both should provide many years of service if cared for. However consider what Capt. Darby wrote. Although Orvis' service is excellent, you are more likely to be able to get the Lamson repaired 10 years from now, though nothing is guaranteed.

Dave,

As Paul said, go with Lamson. Paul sold me my first Lamson, and he steered me right. No drag failures in the salt, and I've caught some big fish on my Velocity 3.5 reels.

Regards,

Bill
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

I wonder how they would compare with these reels....heckofa price...

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/products/alpha-ii-reel

I follow the thoughts of Vince Marinaro..."one reel for everything". I'm going to qualify this for fresh water, salt water I'd do the same thing but a more suitable reel.

My current system is the Orvis Clearwater IV for fresh water. I have them loaded with lines 4 thru 9 with some of the lines on extra spools.The Clearwater reel has a standard arbor. I don't see the advantage of bigger arbors, it just reduces capacity, and when you fill up the standard arbor with backing to the mid or large arbor capacity you get more backing for the buck and the flyline coil is the same.

I paid $39 bucks for the reels and I own 3. I bought 4 spools at $12 bucks apiece. Orvis spooled without question, 20 lb. dacron backing on all of them without cost. My cost for this was $165.

It's just the way I look at things and have nothing against a high dollar reel. I love 'em and would use the same approach for a high dollar set if I had the extra bucks. By comparison here is the difference : 3 Orvis Clearwater Reels @ $39 = $117
    4 spools = 48
    $165 = 7 lines with backing

1 Orvis Mid Arbor V =$169
    1 Spool = 89
    $177 reel + spool 2 lines

I can have problems with any part of my deal but I can switch parts and pieces and be in business. It's a lifetime setup for me.

Before the Clearwaters I had and still have 2 Berkley 1056 with 2 extra spools. These were all set to fish a 6 weight line.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Lamson and Orvis have quality products and good warranties.

I went with the Orvis. I had ordered the Lamson Konic but the large arbor was a bit overwhelming and I just did not care for the finish. If I had some extra cash I would have gone with the Lamson Litspeed 3.5 that caibill uses.

I am pleased with the Orvis and hope to give it a good work out in October.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread