+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pike Flies

Default Pike Flies

Got a dozen or so pike flies tied up last night. The ice is starting to melt in the bays, shouldn't be too long now before I'm out after them. These are clousers tied on a 2/0 saltwater hook. I put them next to one of my 'regular' sized clousers on a size 6 streamer hook.
    I'm going to tie up some giant wooly buggers today too. Starting to get pretty pumped. I might even get to go after some tiger muskies in a local reservoir too. If anyone else has a good pike pattern, please feel free to post a pic or two.

Hook: Mustad size 2/0 saltwater
    Thread: Monofilament thread
    Body: Bucktail with some flashabou that extends just past the tail.

pike flies.jpg

Here are some of the buggers.
    pike flies 001.jpg

Neat flies; can't wait to see pics of some of the beasts you catch on them. Got Jaw spreaders and long nose pliers to get those flies back from all those teeth?

Regards,
    Scott

Nice! Hope you get into them! Fun!!

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

WOW Thunderthumbs. that big blue clouser is really nice ( all of them are ) BUT I really like THAT one. Gonna try it on pickerel here.

I am also waiting for a chance at some Pike. Soon as we have ice-out I'm ready. was talking about this weekend but I just heard we are expecting 6-12" of snow. Another nor'easter.

jed

Jed, I feel your pain, it's been a really long winter here this year too. We almost his 60 up here today though! Unbelievable, I didn't think that was going to happen for quite some time. I'm sure we'll have some more snow before it's all said and done though. Hope it misses you.
    I'm ready, got the wire bite leaders all set to go too, although I read about someone using fireline for a leader. I think I like that idea, might be a lot easier to work with than the wire.
    Scott, I do indeed sir. Though, I might see if I can talk my brother into lipping one like a bass though, lol (funny story associated with that comment).

TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs View Post
    I might see if I can talk my brother into lipping one like a bass though, lol (funny story associated with that comment).

TT.
    Ouch; you guys play rough.

Oh, it's not my fault (one of the few times). We were trout fishing once and he had a nice fish on and asked if he should lip it like a bass. I advised him against it because, unlike bass, they do have teeth that are quite sharp. Of course, he didn't listen, and I'm sure just about every fisherman for a mile in both directions could hear the scream when he stuck his thumb in its mouth and lifted it out of the water to show me. I would like to say that I didn't laugh, but I did....hysterically!
    Then, he's horribly terrified of pike. He's somehow been bitten just about every time he's handled one, dead or alive! He was up here a two winters ago for Christmas. I took him out ice fishing and I caught a nice pike through the ice. I don't know how the heck he did it, but after we got home and were starting to fillet it, he would up with several gashes on his hand from the dead fish!

TT.
    Last edited by Thunderthumbs; 03-31-2011 at 03:19 PM.

new here and new to pike flies but those are some nice looking flies

+ Reply to Thread