+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropper rig?

The most efficient rig i have found it to thread the tippet for the dropper THROUGH the eye of the lead fly. Using a Pitzen or similar stiff knot and separating the knots on the eye 180 degrees, the lead fly will stand out perpendicular to the line. I was taught to put the weight ahead of both flies and have never changed.

John N,

I have been putting my nymphing rig together this way for a couple of years. I read an article about the set up ( I can't remember where I saw it) and decided to try it out. It has been very effective. I lose less flies on the bottom of the stream. The flies suspend in front of a fishes nose rather than below it. I tie a 6-8 inch tag on the end of the bottom fly. Try it with the right angle system and you can clean out a whole stretch of river.

Loufly

Quote Originally Posted by loufly View Post
    John N,

I have been putting my nymphing rig together this way for a couple of years. I read an article about the set up ( I can't remember where I saw it) and decided to try it out. It has been very effective. I lose less flies on the bottom of the stream. The flies suspend in front of a fishes nose rather than below it. I tie a 6-8 inch tag on the end of the bottom fly. Try it with the right angle system and you can clean out a whole stretch of river.

Loufly
    Good to know Loufly. I've figured on tying that last section with lighter tippet than that used for either of the flies, so if the weight snags, hopefully that lightest tippet breaks and I salvage both flies. Beyond that, I thought it might be smart to tie that section in with some sort of slip knot just above the last fly, so that I can have the flexibility of sliding it up temporarily if I elect to change that bottom fly. Of course, if I can't get the rain to stop here for a while and the streams to fall, hypothesizing about this stuff is all I'm going to be able to do!

Blog Entries

In cold water, early season, I use an olive bh or ch bugger with either a hare's ear or a pheasant tail off the hook bend. Choice #2 is a big BH stonefly with a bh muskrat nymph or an emergent stonefly nymph around a #16 off of it. Catch 90% of my early trout on one or the other until the serious hatches begin.

+ Reply to Thread