As with many of us, I've also had to "put down" some very special pets during a lifetime of having a constant companion by my side. It's painful beyond words. The pain dulls as time passes but memories will always continue on. I'm not sure that a replacement dog will speed the healing process for sure but I do believe that one shouldn't rush into the selection of the next dog for that purpose. When a person/family has more than one dog then there is still somebody there to lick your hand, wag his tail and say with his eyes, "I love you". This helps to bridge the gap and gives one some time in the selection process for a new dog.

After reading this and other threads about losing your best friend, and some introspective thought, we have decided to start the selection process already for a second Golden Retriever to keep our 4 year old "Lancaster" company (maybe Lancaster can train the next guy to be at least half as sweet and smart).

Spec, what a fine thought...be that the case, there'll be at least eight dogs and two cats eyeing the road for this old codger's hike up the trail! Sorta goes along with Will Rodgers' saying "that if dogs don't go to heaven than I want to go where they are". Rainbow Bridge, here I come someday (in the hopefully distant future).

Silvertop