+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those of you that tie in a separate butt section.

I use 30lb (5 weight or heavier) or 25lb (5 weight and lighter) Amnesia when I want a high-viz butt I can use as a strike indicator or .019-.021 Maxima Ultragreen or Orvis Superstrong when I want a lower-viz butt. Except for solid-core lines (sinkers), I use needle knots exclusively. Nail knots are okay. Albrights work in a pinch. Braided loops are the devil.

Many times in mid to late Summer, I fish small dries or nymphs or sometimes a terrestrial with a micus shrimp dropper from 6:00 P.M. until dark. I then switch over to a #2 muddler or a big mouse for night time browns and fish until 2:00 or 3:00 A.M. The coolest set-up I have found is to tie the butt section of your leader to the line with a nail knot. This is for good turn over and transition w/o the resistance and hingeing of a hand shake loop at the junction of the fly line. I then tie a perfection loop down at about .010" or .090" on the leader. I handshake the rest of the leader down from there. I find that this allows you to switch leaders for different dry fly conditions w/o having to change the whole leader. This works since the upper leader is more of a function of the fly line than it is of the fly size. This also allows me to handshake a level leader of .090" for big muddlers and mice later on when you have to change when it is almost dark. You can even tie the level leader into the muddler or mouse and just reloop when you want to change after dark. Less time spent with your light on and all the bugs in the world coming round about you.

Thats the way I do it.

Bob

I think everyone gave the right response, i use Amnesia , its red in color so i can see it well, nail knotted on one end and a perfection loop on the other. The real reason i use Amnesia is because of its flex. flex the end of your flyline, your leader connection should be just as flexible. i read this somewhere in a book , so its not my own idea, and i have been using it for years. i fish over some very picky fish in a C+R water that will look at a fly drifting for 10 feet before decideing to take it or not. every little bit helps.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

+ Reply to Thread